2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help finding info about astringer of trout that was caught Anahauc at the wildlife refuge some years ago. I think it was a 90 pound stringer or something crazy like that. Was talking to my father-n-law and he said it was impossible. I would have sworn it was in a magazine a few years ago. :headknock Any help is appreciated.

·
Gater
6,421 Posts
Stringer

I don't know about a stringer from the Refuge but there was a 100# stringer from Baffin when the State record was caught. Gater

·
Worldangler
1,385 Posts
Not impossible...

...but I've never heard of that heavy of stringer from the Anahuac area.

However, as yak07 said, there have been quite a number of 90+ lbs. stringers in the past from Baffin. When I used to fish with Kelly Parks in the S.W.A.C., we had several tourny stringers (10 trout) that were over 90 lbs - Kelly had one, Jim had one, and my friend Routt had a winner of 93lbs. During the week prior and after that tourny (in March or April) there were several more stringers that broke, or were close to, 90 lbs. I have a pic of Routt's stringer over 90lbs in trout (plus he had a couple of reds).

If I remember correctly, our SWAC group had total of more than a dozen trout breaking double digits for those two weeks. And that was just in our small circle of buds in SWAC. I never did break double digits, but I had 4 fish better than 9lbs. My largest trout came in that same year in July, and tipped the scales at 9lbs. 7oz. and was 34" long (and very skinny). There's no doubt in my mind that trout would have gone well over 10lbs (maybe 11+?) if I had caught it a few months earlier.

I thought I had won that tourny when I had a stringer of 72 lbs, but was shocked to discover at weigh-in that I wasn't even the top 10!!!

The top bait for Routt and myself wasn't anything you'd expect - and probably never heard of. It was a Heddon bait called a Zara Gossa. (Not the topwater bait). This was a SLOW-sinking, jointed hard-bait that looked like a hard bodied, jointed Sluggo. Best colors were blue/silver and black/silver.

You'd fish the bait like a Sluggo, but when it nosed up to and broke the surface - the big trout SLAMMED hit.

This was in the early/mid-80's - after the freeze kill BTW. That, and the year after, was simply awesome for big trout in Baffin - pales anything I've experienced before or since. The year after that the brown tide moved in HEAVY, and Baffin pretty much died. IMHO, it never really recovered after that - back then, it was COMMON to see HUGE trout (30" fish!!) up in the shallows, especially along tide guage, Alazan, and near Black Bluff.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I believe the stringer you might be referring to was 93 or 97 lbs., caught by Mickey Eastman on the North Shore of East Bay. Call him on the am show and ask him.

·
Banned
3,906 Posts
I believe the stringer you might be referring to was 93 or 97 lbs., caught by Mickey Eastman on the North Shore of East Bay. Call him on the am show and ask him.
+2, I've seen the picture and it was awesome. It was probably 20 or more years ago.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Capt. Mickey, that is the one. Thanks gentlmen. That was driving me crazy. That is crazy about your 72 lb stringer not making the top ten JohnHumbert. Wow! I remember a little about the Zara Gossa. Never have ever used them though. I do still use the rebel and cordell broken backs. Still killer baits that my dad and granpa would throw all the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts