2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a buddy recently pass away. He has a few checks that werent cashed, a few investment accounts, and a motorcycle. His dad needs the money and needs to sell his bike but the title is in his son's name. He needs to cash these checks but asked me if I knew the best way to get it done. I was thinking talk to a probate attorney and have the death cert...

Is there an easier way? if not what all needs to be done and what is he looking at out of pocket?

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Sorry about your friend.
The attorney is probably the route to go.

This unfortunate death should also be a reminder to everyone, that each of us need a good will. It makes things a whole lot easier.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Unfortunately, He'll have to go to a Probate Attorney. It's not going to happen right away. The sooner he gets started, the sooner he'll get everything settled. Went through the same thing with my Mom's possessions.

·
Banned
2,863 Posts
Attorney is best....

but if there is no one else involved in his estate, I would sign the title to the MC. My wife disposed of a car her mom left that way. Who's gonna argue about the signature? The checks may be hard to do anything with, as any bank account they could be deposited into and withdrawn is probably frozen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts