2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:) Just a thought. I aint that much into spring cleaning.

If I pressure wash my house (either myself or have someone else do it) am I opening myself up to possible water getting in places and a chance to cause mold? Anyone here do this to their house? Suggestions?

·
What's a Corky?
3,107 Posts
I don't know from experience but, I am told, do not pressure wash hardi plank, just use a brush and garden hose. Don't know about the water getting into places, probably depends on the house and how old it is.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
If you do pressure wash be very careful about the spray width that you are using. Using too narrow of a widith will score any type of material including concrete. If you have wood siding too much pressure will shread it, but in answer too your question, no unless your house is very old & has gaps in the siding. Just be careful around the edges.

·
Registered
10,844 Posts
I usually send mine out to dry-clean...........

InfamousJ said:
:) Just a thought. I aint that much into spring cleaning.

If I pressure wash my house (either myself or have someone else do it) am I opening myself up to possible water getting in places and a chance to cause mold? Anyone here do this to their house? Suggestions?
nmsg.

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd like to see that bill smarta..err.. Kenny. :) LOL

Its only about 2 years old. Part brick, part limestone, part hardiplank, some wood. I'm thinking a good soft brush scrubbing aound the non brick/stone parts is enough. I figure pressure would maybe be to much. Just wondering if anyone had experience doing it. I won't plan on any "pressure" washing.

·
I just love rod threads! No Spam baby
3,776 Posts
Loan ya one

If you want a pressure washer for concete ect..
I got one you can borrow.

But it'll nock off paint. Then the wood rots in a year or two.
Get off your buttt and just wash your truck and be happy.

L8tr, Paul

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Jonathon - we use Jomax. You can pick it up at Home Depot. Spray it on and then spray under pressure 30 minutes or so later and you don't need to blast it. Might want to give it a try.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I pressure washed a brick house once ,couldn't believe the results but as stated follow the common sense rules and make dam sure you don't get your hand in front of that nozzle. I have heard some horrible stories.

dick

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
FishinChick said:
Jonathon - we use Jomax. You can pick it up at Home Depot. Spray it on and then spray under pressure 30 minutes or so later and you don't need to blast it. Might want to give it a try.
Yep, that is what I use and what many painters use to clean the gunk off. If you have any flowers or shrubs under where you are spraying, I would cover them with a tarp or something.

Damian

·
Fair chase fisherman!
863 Posts
Hey J I used to pressure wash houses for a living man. If you can get a PW with a chemical injector a few gallons of bleach and a bottle of dish soap we can knock your house out in no time. Theres not much concern if you know what your doing then being in a heavey rain storm. Now concrete and decks take a bit more work. Give me a call if you like you can get my number off the list from the other board.

Jake

·
H3 Titanium the ultimate in rod design.
646 Posts
Caution.

I was told by my exterminator not to use bleach on the walls because it will run down the slab and neutralize the termite control chemicals that protect the house from the little wood diners.

Ranger Bob

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
You can pressure wash it...

A pressure washer will apply as much power as it can or as little as none, depending on how close you hold it to your work! A 3000 psi washer will etch concrete if you hold it one inch away. Back up to 8" or 10" or whatever, and you can find an appropriate pressure to clean just about anything. It is kinda trial and error and common sense. I have cleaned mini blinds hung on the fence with a 2000 psi one. Start further away from it at first and decrease distance until you find the right one to clean it and not destroy it!!

Later
R3F

PS I wanted to add a "DUH" after the last sentence, but I am not going to! LOL

·
Hunting Machine!
5,833 Posts
Red3Fish has it right ---just don't get too close and watch your angle and see the dirt just roll off--top to bottom. You will be supprised how dirty a house gets--I preasure wash every home we paint, I just make sure my workers dont miss any spots--also I always pre rinse the areas ahead of me and it comes off better.

·
Saltmadness
13,573 Posts
J I do my moms house about once a year and its brick. Just don't get to close or it will etch it like R3F described. Home Depot does have a solution that will fit your needs. BTW break down and buy some ICE TEA and I might come over and SUPERVISE! LOL

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Dude, I thought you lived in one of those neighborhoods that if your house got dirty, that the HMO sent someone over to clean it and just sent you a bill.

LOL

When are we going to go tee it up bro? You still have to give me 5 a side. 6 a side and I'll buy the beer.

·
www.centexpressurewashing .com
1,447 Posts
Pressure Washing a house

This is a C/P I sent to BritishSlave back in december 05. This is the basics for doing the job. Its not rocket science but it does take some finesse and common sense. The bleach will not nuetralize any insect barrier chemicals. To do the job correctly get a real powerwasher with at least 4gpm or greater.

Now the rest of the story..................

BS, Ill give you a recipe for cleaning your home.

Tools:
Pressure Washer, the more gpm the better, rent one if you need to.
Pump up garden sprayer.
Water hose.
5 gal bucket

Materials:
Household Bleach
Dawn dishwashing liguid

Recipe:
Mix in a 5 gal bucket
4 gals water
1 gal size bottle bleach
good squirt of Dawn 1/4 - 1/2 cup
Pour into pumpup sprayer

Proceedure:
1.Wet down the grass and scrubs around the house, a side at a time with a garden hose. This prevents burning your vegetation by the bleach.
2.With the pump up sprayer wet down the house starting from the bottom up. Do a section at a time.
3. Rinse with the power washer, from the bottom up.
4. Reapply to areas you missed, rinse again.
5. Rinse everything from the top down and you ar finished.

Tips:
1. Dont be chinsy with the chemicals. The bleach will kill the mold and mildew. The Dawn acts as a surfactant and helps it to stick.
2. If your house has heavy mildew increase the bleach, add another bottle to the mix.
3. Be careful with the PW, dont get too close and damage your paint or siding, be careful around doors and windows dont blow water into the house.
4. Rinse thuroughly.
5. If this is overwelming, hire a professional contractor.

This is just the basics. Hope this helps you.

Mike T

·
I just love rod threads! No Spam baby
3,776 Posts
Like I said

Like I said you can borrow mine, It's at my office: Beltway & 290
It's at my office then do your concrete if you want.

Some of you guys kill me. Of course you don't want to tear up your house.
A PW has many uses only one is a powering a house.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts