2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Salt/Freshwater Angler
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well most poeples engines just need to be primed and a trun of a key and they start right up. ours needs to primed and have to push the neutral botton and put the throttle 3/4 ways up for it the start. now u can imagine the loud noise it makes on a start up every single time. so what needs to be done here? maybe just some new spark plugs? btw:its a 2001 90hp johnson
thanks,
mando

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
try moving the throttle up and back about 5 - 10 times while in neutral and then crank it. This isn't uncommon if the boat has ben sitting or if your in a shallow water boat where the motor is substantialy higher than the fuel tank outlet. Your simply having to purge out of the lines and bowls in the carbs.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Mando,
How often do you use it? Do you disconnect the gas and run it all out of the engine? Do you use any stabil or other additives? When was the last time you checked the plugs?

·
Gone Fishing
12,001 Posts
Like John said ..prime the bulb and push the key in you should hear a click when you push the key in. I push mine 3 or 4 times

·
Salt/Freshwater Angler
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we dont take the boat out much maybe 1 or 2 times a month. i do the choke thing too, hold the key in and like 5 sec. later it beeps. then turn the key and it still wont kick in. ive never tried moving the throttle up and down, that might do the trick.

we've never disconnect and run it all out of the engine and we only mix oil with the gas. the engine was getting worked on a couple of weeks ago for a over heating problem and they didnt mention anything about bad plugs or anything.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Warning...do not disconnect your gas line.....

Especially if your motor is oil injected. It may be OK if you premix but is still highly discouraged as the motor will run lean for a while and could cause damage. Change the plugs. If that does not help then try some good fuel additive for several tanks. If that does not help then take the motor in to have the fuel system cleaned. Oh yeah, if there is a fuel filter change it out and don't forget the airfilter if the motor has one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gotta be a merc.

If it's a Mercury, which it sure sounds like, try pushing the key in, to choke it, and everytime it trys to die, feather the button in and out until it's running to your likings..................

·
Starboard List
1,882 Posts
Might try a decarb..

I decarbed my rude this weekend. It will help with the slow starts and poor idle. You'd be surprised how much gunk you can get out of your engine. You could use sea foam deep creep or what ever they sell for mercs at the shop. Just take off the intake and let the motor warm up while on the muffs. Rev the RPM up to 2500 or so and spray about a 2 second burst into each carb until the engine starts smoking pretty good. Once the engine dies open the carb butterfly and spray the inside real good. Then remove the spark plugs and spray some in the cylinders. Let it sit for 10 minutes or so then reinstall the plugs, fire it back up and let it idle till the smoke clears.
--Hop

·
Salt/Freshwater Angler
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys for all the help, we might have to try everything till it works right lol.
thanks,
mando

1 - 11 of 11 Posts