2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has a ¾ ton 82 GMC diesel PU. I think the engine is a 6.2 liter. As I understand it, it was the second diesel engine GMC/Chev. put in their PUs. The first engine was a 5.9 gas engine that they converted to diesel. The 6,2 my friend has is supposed to be a true diesel. The above info. I got from people who know a lot more about these things than I do. That's more people than I care to count , even using a computer- get the picture. The engine was blown trying to pull a travel trailer out of the supposed path of Hurricane Rita. Would like put a diesel engine back in it, but that's expensive. Have been told that it's next to impossible to put one of the newer diesel engines because it would require a new electrical harness and maybe more because so much of the wiring goes to the dash and instrument panels of the newer trucks.. Jasper (engine manufacturer) sells an excellent rebuilt 6.2 diesel. Their specs say that the engine has 245 ft/lbs of torque at 1700 RPMs. They also sell 350s and 383s (gas engines) which would fit in the truck. The gas engines have 315 to 330 ft/lbs of torque BUT that's at 3300 RPMs (maybe 3000). This truck has a 6" lift kit, very large tires, automatic trans. and 4 wheel drive. The purpose of this truck is to go to the beach and to pull heavy loads. Unfortunately, Jasper doesn't have graphs that show the range of ft/lbs to RPMs of the gas engines. I'd like to know what kind of ft/lbs. they produce at low RPMs.Q#1 Does anybody here have access to this kind of stuff? My instinct tells me that the diesel is that way to go because of the pulling power. At the same time the gas engines are cheaper to buy and may give the truck a better top end. With a load 70 is hard to get. Without a load, it may not get better than 75. Also, this diesel doesn't have a turbo. I have been told that you really need to investigate closely your choice of turbos or you may just waste your money. Q#2 Will a tubro help the top end without taking away power at lower RPMs.? Will it help with pulling power?

Q#3 Would the gas engine be better than the diesel. I don't take gas or diesel fuel prices into consideration because the diesel fuel price seems to yo-yo from above gas to lower than gas.

Thanks for your help.

Avid

·
**Follow me to certain death**
1,015 Posts
Garret or Banks has all sorts of turbo/exhust packages and could probably find some torque chart there on the 6.2

While a 6.2 is not on favorite by any means seems to fit what your wanting to do.

Upgraded turbo with an exhaust system that will let it flow will make alot of difference.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I agree. even for the 6.2, low RPM torque (in sand, etc) is what a diesel is made for!

A good turbo will help out a lot! It might even get the top end speed you want. The diesel place forum probably has about as much good info about the 6.2 as anywhere. It would be worth your time to log on and "browse" the 6.2L section of the forum!

http://dieselplace.com/forum/

Hope this helps!
Aggie91

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Replace the 6.2 with the later 6.5 Turbo & you will have all you want in a beach/tow machine.... A good down pipe & a 3" exhaust system will let it breath... I pulled up to 18,000 lbs with a 6.5T engine for a lot of years.... & ran it down to Land Cut on PINS many times...... The fuel economy over a gas with the same or near same Torque is the big difference... plus all the power (torque) comes in around 1600 to 1800 RPM. With big tires make sure that you run at least 4.10:1 gears....

You can buy a rebuilt 6.5 T for less than $3K if you look.. Yes, the DieselPlace.com is the best place for GM diesel help..

Supergas

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
i am not to sure about GM i have and will always own ford but there is a place here in houston i think called greenleaf that you can get good new,rebuilt, or used diesels. i replaced the 97 powerstroke in my old dually (485,000 ish miles) with a banks turbo used engine(40,000 miles), down pipe, 80 horse chip and added the intercooler for about $7200 total including labor. truck ended up with about 400 to 420 horses and about 700 lbft of torque. and ontop of that it got about 15-17 miles/gallon if you took it easy on the pedal.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I am no expert but I have built quite a few engines. Generally with a modern turbo, or to use a super charger, you'd need to knock down the compression ration-- preferably to around 8.5:1....No more than that....But you are talking diesels which run nearly three times that ratio! .....Darn diesels don't burn fuel but combust it at that high-arsed rate!

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I also have an 82 truck with the diesel, 6.2 if I'm not mistaken. It has sat for several years in a barn. I'm hoping we can begin to restore it pretty soon. It's a 1/2 ton truck with a stepside bed and a wood floor. It ran when we parked it, but I'm sure it needs a major overhaul now. Was thinking of just putting in a gas engine, hadn't really thought much about adding a turbo on etc. I'm watching this thread closely.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry I was so long in getting back. I posted the question and then had to go away a few days. Thanks to all who replied. One of the nice things about TTMB is that there always seems to be people who are knowledgeable and willing to help. After reading your replies I think my inclination to stick with the diesel is the way to go. Banks and The dieselplace look like good starting (and hopefully ending places) for my quest. Just got off The dieselplace and they referenced Bank as well. Rangerjohn, where did you have your work done? Goose, I'll try to keep you updated on how this goes. Thanks!

Avid

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
AVID READER. my work was spread out over a couple of years so it was done at a few different places but my engine, turbo, down pipe was done at Northwest diesel. (they will do the engine but not the turbos and such anymore, they just didnt have the market)
i do have a guy that will do everything except the programer/chip. i have a 2003 6.0 powerstoke now and i have spent alot of money to get it working right after putting and "EDGE JUICE WITH ATTITUDE" so i dont recomend using that product. if i were to do it all again i would go banks all the way.

send me a pm and i can get you the number of the guy i know. he does very good work. he does most of the "custom" work for the dealers on the north side of town these days.he just put a really nice 6" lift on my 03 f 250 crew cab. looks **** nice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts