2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched to a Simrad go7 4 years ago and I just installed the third unit. First one lasted about 3 months and second went out a few months ago. Since switching to Simrad one thing I’ve notice is when starting the motor with Simrad on, the screen flickers. It’s doesn’t shut off, just flickers. Never notice previous plotters do that. Other Simrad owners have the flicker when starting? If not how do I stop it? I’ve check connects. You think this could be causing the failures I’ve experienced? Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I've read they are very sensitive to voltage drops and need hot batteries. Which leads me to think that if you are on the lower side of 12 volts, when you crank the engine it's dipping below the unit's "tolerance".

I've got 2 go units but they aren't usually on when I start the engines. And once they are on (the engines) they run all day while out and fishing.

Maybe check your batteries with a volt meter and start there? I realize bay fishing running the engine all day isn't an option, maybe put a switch in or add a house battery or something.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue tried all avenues replaced wires, checked batteries, etc. And final result was a bad fuse holder replaced and problem has been solved.

·
Registered
26 Posts
No flicker but my unit occasionally reports low voltage although the voltage seems to be normal. I have not noticed any flicker or performance issues related to it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies!! I do have it on a single battery and I’ve checked all connections and battery condition. Haven’t looked at fuse holders. Will do that next. Guess I could run power leads forward to the trolling motor batteries. That will be a PITA!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have the same unit and mine sometimes "dims" when I start the motor. It doesn't affect performance, so, I haven't really worried about it. I think it may be low battery like Blaze mentioned? Maybe battery needs replacing or charging? How old are your batts?
I have had my Simrad for going on 3 years now with no issues.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Has anyone compared the battery cranking amps? It could be the the battery required is below what is suggested even though possibly new. Perhaps an older battery may have aged to the point that cranking amps is not what is use to be! Have it check and report back for all

·
No fish in West Bay
5,637 Posts
No issues with my NSS7 evo3 when starting my boat

1 - 12 of 12 Posts