2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Let's Go Fishin Boss!
7,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is related to my tree trimming situation. A large portion of one of the dead limbs on my giant white oak in the back yard extends well over my roof line. It's not a matter of if this 500 lb + limb falls but rather when the limb falls it will not doubt do some serious roof damage.

Should I call my Traveler's homeowner insurance agent and explain the situation to him in hopes that maybe he will be willing to at least split the cost of the limb removal? Are homeowner's agents willing to spend $500 in order to prevent writing out a $5,000 check?

·
Registered
778 Posts
had the same thing except the whole tree was leaning towards the house, called and talked to my agent and they would not foot the bill or any part of it to have it removed. no longer an issue as i have moved.

·
Let's Go Fishin Boss!
7,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
justletmein said:
How much could it possibly cost to have the limb removed? I'd imagine your deductable would be much higher than limb removal so you'd end up footing the whole bill even if they'd pay for it.
Cost will probably be in the $500 - $1,000 range! These limbs are huge and are 40' to 50' off the ground.

G

·
There was a similar thread on 2Cool awhile ago. ~ The consensus seemed to be that a tree hit by lightening or pushed partly over by a storm might be covered, but a dead limb or a tree just too close to a house isn't because it is judged to be something that a homeowner should handle as a part of normal maintenance.

:rybka:

·
What about my member?
1,619 Posts
Unfortunately they will not help to remove the tree as you are solely responsible for the maintenance and prevention of a loss if possible. You can find this in your policy under covered perils and it will tell you that "neglect" is not covered and that you must use all reasonable means to save and preserve covered property when endangered by a potential loss. Hope this helps!

Brian

·
Malt Beverage Diety
1,361 Posts
Unfortunately, Jaw & BB have it, normal maintainence.Just a reminder, double check their insurance. Just think how the lawyers will be circling if someone were to suffer "Catastrophic total body fragmentation" (OSHA's euphemism for going through a chipper...)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I paid $1,000 to have 8 large oaks trimmed last month. The crew was there from 7am until 8pm and had between 5 and 8 guys working the whole time. They had a 20' trailer they filled up 4 times... Did a great job.

Take care of your trees and they will take care of you!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Let me put it in a different light....is your Auto Insurance going to pay for your break jobs and oil changes so your car doesn't break? Preventative maintence is your repsonsibility. You have to be careful as well as some insurances will try and weasle out of paying by saying proper trimming would have alleviated the situation. You need to make sure you read the fine print before letting the tree have it's way with your house!

·
Registered
270 Posts
If and/or when the limb falls on your house, the insurance company will pay for repairs, minus deductible of course. They will NOT pay for the removal of the tree or the limb!!!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Bay, actually they MAY not pay if the limb falls. If it was found that proper trimming and upkeep would have prevented this. P&C (property and casulty) insurance has LOTs of fine print. You have to be VERY carefull what your getting and make sure that cheaper quote isn't because you're getting less insurance! This is one reason I'm glad I don't sell P&C.

·
Registered
174 Posts
As a former P&C agent, I have run across this problem. It is considered maintenance. Also, you agree in your policy to take all necessary steps to prevent damage to the property. I had a situation identical to yours. Had a homeowner with a large limb hanging over a portion of the house. The homeowner wanted the insurance company to pay for the removal of the limb. Insurance company declined, saying that this was maintenance, homeowner said that they would just let the limb break and then file on their policy. I noted the conversation, reported to insurance company, homeowner was non-renewed. The homeowner is responsible for the upkeep of their property, pride of ownership, etc., not the insurance company.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.