2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a party boat ie. (Big E), can one turn a 80-100 lbs. YFT with #65 JB. I need to get an idea on which JB should I should go with #65 or #80 for top water popper. I am leaning toward #65 since it will give me more yardage compared the #80. Any suggestion?

Thanks

·
Registered
716 Posts
65# should be good for topwater, I wouldnt be too concerned about capacity, id likely make the decision based on the amount of drag my combo (rod+reel+u) can handle.

I suspect 75% of ppl use 50-65# spectra for topwater tuna and most do fine.

just dont try and use hollow, youll hate it, or at least i did. I couldnt seem to cope with all the wind knots it caused for some reason...

·
Academy Sports & Outdoors Manager
1,243 Posts
Think about it this way. On the Memorial Day Trip I used a Saltiga 6000Z which has over 40# of drag available and was rigged with 80# spectra. When the drag was set McGolfer said to go to 15# which is a good bit of drag but is only 20% of the breaking strength.

Why use 80# spectra and only 15# of drag, when you can use 50# spectra and 15# of drag? Answer: the diameter of 80# spectra is much easier to work with when you are tying your knots and for abrasion resistance. I did loose a 50# YFT the 3rd time it charged under the boat the spectra broke.

Will 50# spectra work and work well...YES! Should you go with 65# or 80# solid...probably but it is not NECESSARY.

BTW I am respooling my Avet JX with 80# from 50#.

·
2Cool Sponsor
1,156 Posts
Hey Bullred- What reel on you putting the spectra on?

IMO, 65# is fine for throwing topwater. If you can get 300 yards of 65# on your reel and still be able to put on a shock leader, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ragman said:
Hey Bullred- What reel on you putting the spectra on?

IMO, 65# is fine for throwing topwater. If you can get 300 yards of 65# on your reel and still be able to put on a shock leader, you'll be fine.
Saltiga 6000 gt. I am tempted to get an extra spool, the 6500 spool. The 6500 has a little more capacity. But since I will be using the #65 JB I won't get it after all. Just save $140. I will be matching the reel with the Accurate calstar 700H, lets hope the YFTs are busting top water once I get there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.