2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you for sharing the letter from your friend stationed in Iraq with the Marines. As I read it WWII memories came back.

When the war was going on many young ladies like myself volunteered to help the Red Cross. My job was to knit. The Red Cross provided the yarns and patterns that met the official specifications of each branch of the service. I knit several sweaters, scarves and gloves for the Red Cross. Of course that's probably not done for this war.

My husband and I married in 1947. He was in the infantry and had just returned home. He had been in the Battle of the Bulge. He shared many "war stories" with me that included stories about men who went to war with no one to write to them or send them packages.

I started thinking. There are three of us here who would very much like to be of some moral support to our heros where that support is missing. We would be happy to send letters and packages....we just don't know how to go about it.

I'm sure there must be some program in place that works with this. But I have no idea how to find it.

I thank you very much stargazer for posting the letter. It woke me up!

Joyce

·
Old Fart (junior grade)
450 Posts
Thanks Cool one! I owe you a cool one!

We have boxes of paperback books that we would rather send to our servicemen than to have them sit on the shelf at some used book store, or garage sale!

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A big thanks, CoolChange©©

Once again you've been a big help! I visited the site and it looks like the three of us will be getting ourselves busy pretty soon.

Leave it to CoolChange©© to point us in the right direction!

·
5,853 Posts
Thanks Aunt Joyce.

Sorry for the late post. I was out of town this weekend and just now was able to get on the board. I enjoyed reading about you and your hubby. I have met several folks that met and married while serving their country or soon after returning home.
CC Thanks for posting the link. I feel we as americans should support these fine folks over seas. To paraphrase a tired but most approprate phrase " These fine people, men and woman, offer their lives to give us our freedom" The items we send to the troops do mean a lot to them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.