2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at a crossroads in my rod building...... I want to know how you guy's feel and think.

I wanna build performance based, light, strong and no frills kind of rods. Hardcore fish fighting tools but I am scared that without all the asthetic additions that buttwraps and trim bands and all the fancy work brings that I'll lose customers. What are you guy's opinions....

Build solid fish catching machines and hope people agree with your work..... Or build highly asthetic fancy rods and appeal to sight more than functionality......

·
Registered
234 Posts
build u different style rods,while ur fishn or take pic & have them n ur glove box,have them ready 4 a customer.

·
Registered
10,344 Posts
Performance is alot about weight reduction, which is why I try to keep the frills on the butt end. Most will want "some" frills when buying a custom rod. I do have 1 personal rod w/ no deco at all, just black guide wraps. I'm speaking of wade rods, not surf or offshore.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Some bling & decor is priced in with my builds as most folks like a little something. I however still concider them quite plain. Some quick thread work, maybe a fish or logo decal. Nothing to write home about.
If a client wants fancy they will have to pay for it as it takes time and time is money. Most don't want to pay for it!

You should ALWAYS provide performance first or your doing a dis-service to your client. If they do request some bling that might adversely effect performance it's your job to explain the trade-offs if any.

My 2 cents

1 - 7 of 7 Posts