2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my years of fishing i don't have a ton of experience fishing in the surf so forgive my ignorance here.

I read that most people are catching fish in the first gut.
Is the first gut the area right where you walk into the water before you get to the first sand bar?
Or
Is it the gut after you cross over the first sandbar? (between 1st and 2nd sandbar)

Thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. So do most of you just fish from the beach or in shin deep water? Or do you walk out to 1st sandbar and fish back towards shore?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Red, I used to plow out to the 2nd bar as fast as I could. But, some years ago, I discovered that there were plenty of trout to be had right behind the first breaker (or the back side of the 1st bar) in waist deep water. I just walk up and down the beach in that area chunking a topwater and it works for me!

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
finfinder951 said:
Red, I used to plow out to the 2nd bar as fast as I could. But, some years ago, I discovered that there were plenty of trout to be had right behind the first breaker (or the back side of the 1st bar) in waist deep water. I just walk up and down the beach in that area chunking a topwater and it works for me!
This is especially true on high tide. Not so good when it is falling or low. You can tell just by looking if they are in there or not. Just look for the mullet running scared. Fish that first one for a while, if nothing, then probe the second gut...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts