2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only to Mansfield once and primarly fished along the landcut out of someone else's boat. The boat was an older flat-bottom kenner. I'm considering going back down there and was curious how well I would be able to get around in my 18 ft Kenner V. I do have a jackplate, but no tunnel, so I just usually error on the side of caution when in a new place. If I go back I'd like to learn some new areas other than the landcut. No objection to getting out and wading (thought I think I heard they are full of rays down there, but seems like everywhere is). Just curious about how well I should be able to get around from a few of you Mansfield veterans. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
You should be alright along the west shore line north of the port, bennies shack, and saucer as long as you shut down right off the intercoastal. I would stay away from the south flats or pretty much the east ride of the bay. There's some good fishing that you should have no problem getting to just make sure you use your head and shut down where you know its safe and idle the rest of the way. If it's calm enough you may wan't to go out to the jetties. I've seen more than one fishing show where they were catching kings one after another at the end of the mansfield jetties.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Gotta Love Pm

I have been fishing PM for the past few years 10-15 times/year(used to fish Baffin but got sick of the morons) The previous post is pretty good. I have had my best luck south of PM. If you are looking for trout try drifting the area near Bennie's shack in 2-3 ft of water and if you are looking for reds the saucer from marker 175-178 is great with for wading with a gold spoon or topwater--mirrolure walkin tha dawg!! I am down there usually on Monday and Tuesday so give me shout when you are heading out.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input

We spent quite a bit of time at the jetties last time catching and releasing oversized reds. That was a blast. We also managed to catch a few trout here and there, mostly just off the channel heading out to the jetties. We noticed what seemed to be a huge flat just to left when heading out to the jetties that a lot of boats appeared to be drifting over during the afternoon. We tried that a bit but I think that was on our last day. That was one area I was curious about. I remember it being at least a few ft deep where we were, but not sure how far back it went. If I remember correctly it was a large grass flat, with potholes. I'll have to get out my map and take a look. As for shutting down, I usually try to keep in on the safe side and idle in to anywhere I think might be to shallow. As long as I can float I'm good, if needs be I can drop the trolling motor and get on in. Still not sure if that's where we are going, but if we do it will probably be later in the week through the weekend. Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Jramm, your thinking of the flats to the north of the channel going to the jetties. That is a good spot for early and late topwater. Also use plastics there under a mauler to keep your lure right above the grass. It is usually deep enough on a regular tide. Check your tide situation before you get too far. But you can run and get up okay. I cannot remember what they call that area. Something like east cut? I'm sure someone knows.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts