2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to do some light fishing at night and have a few questions. What are some good spots to do this at around the galveston area? I have a kayak so i was just thinking about roaming the canals of a bayhouse subdivision (are there certain subdivisions yall can suggest?) I will be throwing artificial lures only, which work better at night or does it matter? what time of the night has the most action? I think i might try my luck with the bay houses on tiki island. how does that sound? thanks in advance. --Brian

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
not looking for your secrets, just some basic info to get a kid started.....because unlike some kids, my dad doesnt know a black bass from a red drum.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
two more quick questions. does my kayak need any type of lights on it (red/green) if i am gonna be on the water at night. I dont plan on being on open water, just canals. and also is it the law to have a life vest on? I always wear one but i was just wondering. thanks

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
Yes you need lights on your yak at night and a life vest on especially at night is a smart idea.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
whats the best way to do the lights? what lights go where? red in front and green in back? A small 12V battery in the dry storage? How do i attach them so they are not perminant...velcro? thanks again.

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
You need a light that is visible 360 degrees (not red/green navigation lights)...

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/boat/wsdigest.phtml
Lights Required
All vessels including motorboats, canoes, kayaks, punts, rowboats, rubber rafts, or other vessels when not at dock must have and exhibit at least one bright light, lantern or flashlight visible all around the horizon from sunset to sunrise in all weather and during restricted visibility.

You get lights with clamps, etc. I would think all you need is a good flashlight to use.

Also:

All vessels, including canoes and kayaks, must be equipped with one Type I, II, III or V wearable PFD for each person on board.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Greg Berlocher

Has an article on "lights fishing" in this month's edition of Tide. He has some good tips you should consider. A few:

Stay in the dark so as not to cast shadows (or be silhouetted from green lights) and spook the fish.

Try to get your hookups outside the lights. If you catch a fish in the middle of the lights you can "shut it down" for a while. Catch them outside the lights and you can get a few before moving on.

Use light tackle, small lures, and invisible line. Match the hatch if possible. Lots of times the fish are real picky in the lights. You have to match what they are after. Glass minnows and bay anchovies are often the quarry.

Bend the barbs down on your hooks. Tons of schoolies in the lights, easier to safely release them if you go barbless.

Take a buddy with you if at all possible. Something happens at night, you could be hosed if alone. At least wear a pfd.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
academy caries a light white light with a suction cup that'll work. the light went out on the top of my motor and i used one. it stayed in place while running the bay, so it should work on your kayak.

as far as lures, go as small and as realistic as possible. i like to use small doa's on an ultralight when fishing the lights. fly rods are also a good option. small jigs in white, glow or yellow seen to work well. with the light on your boat, you can get the glow lures to glow which helps when fishing the dark areas around the lights. also the bigger specks usually hang outside the lights. the best subdivision to work is the one with the most lights... and there's definitely one that stands above others in the galv west beach area

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thats good stuff. I will remember it. Now with all this rain we have had do you think it would be worth going tonight or some other time this week??

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do people leave their lights on all night? I was planning on getting down there around 2-3am and just fish the lights for a while (if they will still be on this late) then have a morning fish when the sun starts to rise.

·
Registered
403 Posts
i would fish the bay w/ no lights under the full moon and leave fishing the lights to nights w/ less moon light... usually catch all my fish w/ strong tide movement, strong enough that you have to fight paddling against it. fishing tiki and bayou vista and the other nieghborhoods out the kayak at night is a blast,

Justin

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am packed up and ready to go! looks like its gonna be clear starting around 2:30am till noon tomorrow. will post a report tomorrow.

·
To Endeavor to Persevere
8,872 Posts
Try the Zoom Super Fluke Jr. in the Rainbow shad color. Rig with about 14 to 16" of 20# Fluoro leader tied to a black Spro swivel. Crimp a small split shot just below the swivel. Use a 2/0 Owner worm hook and bury the point in the slit on the bait. (hook upside down)

When you twitch the bait the split shot causes the lure to dart back and forth like a glass minnow and it flings a craving on the trout! Twitch a few times then let it sink, most hits come on the drop. When the fish are finicky, this works for me, but you have to hit 'em quick as they'll spit it when they feel somethings knot right!

Try to cast up current and let the bait move through the lights then twitch on the down current side! When you get good, you can make the bait dance in one spot like a real glass minnow. Dont bring the fish to the top and let them thrash, they'll spook the other fish out, fight them in slow and you'll see other trout following them in!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts