2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone evr used any of the pac bay guides? I have always used fuji but if they are just as good then I wouldnt mind saving a little money. know what I mean? I have been looking at there hialoy guides I think is what they call them. they are suppoesed to be just like the fuji hardloy guides. do yall have any comments?

Ramon

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
I got a set from ebay

paid $2.00 (new) for them plus shipping. I have not put them on a rod yet but they seem nice.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I talked to my friend Artie Hebert and he said that they are good but no one can match Fuji for quality so I might use them on some bass rods but I think I am gonna stick with Fuji for my saltwater rods. I sure would hate to build a great rod, only to have to replace the guides after a couple of smoker kings or a tuna. Bill you sure have jumpede right into building rods I sure hope you have as much fun doing it as I do. It is an awesome hobby but is bad for the wives to see you do this because you already have fishing stuff now your making fishing stuff in there house lol.

Ramon

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hey Ramon...

Long time no see. Hope you and the rest of the family are doing well with the new addition.

I haven't had any problems with the set of PacBay Sic turbo on my 50# rod. It seems a lot of the West coast guys seem to like the gold finish an titanium on them better than fuji. I have seen a few complaints of them popping rings more frequently than fuji but then any fuji is top dog. You might want to consider the holographic amtaks as they look sweet. IMO, with the quality of all the guides now I don't think you can really go wrong if you choose with fuji, pacbay or amtak.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey Sea dog I have been so busy its not even funny I am sorry to hear about the GEM trip. I have been thinking about the holo guides from amtack but I havent decided yet, I got a purple reel seat and gimbal from perfection and planned on using metalic green metalic purple and metalic silver for the wraps. I was thinking on using the amtack guides but I couldn't decide if that would look gay for not, do you really like those turbo guides? I haven't even really considered those for the rod. I am finally getting around to building that cjbf70 that I talked about early this summer.

Ramon

·
Registered
165 Posts
>> I got a purple reel seat and gimbal from perfection and planned on using >>metalic green metalic purple and metalic silver for the wraps. I was thinking >>on using the amtack guides but I couldn't decide if that would look gay
That this point do you really think the holo guides would put you over the top???

>>do you really like those turbo guides?
Yes, good quality and the price is right. I think they may be a little heave for a rod you are building.

>> I am finally getting around to building that cjbf70 that I talked about
I just built a CJBF70 myself but am a little disappointed that the action was softer than I wanted -- seems to be more of a heavy 30# than a 40# stick.
Here's the components I used:
Blank - seeker CBJF70
Guides - fuji BHNNG SINII 20,16,12,10,10,10,8,8,8 and BHNNT 10 tip
11.5" Hypalon foregrip
Aftco ice blue 3m seat
10" slick butt
Aftco ice blue gimbal
Wraps- gudebrod HT metallic in 9037 ice blue, 9000 gold, & 9245 royal blue

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that is a sweet rod right there That is exactly what I am using my for is going to be a heavy 30# outfit right now it will have one of my smaller reels on it and will probably use it for kings and some iron but other than that I am not sure what else. Why did you use so manny guides on that, wouldn;t six and the tip be ok? this is the first " offshore" rod that I have built so I am trying to learn all of the ins and outs of "offshore" rods.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey Seadog what kind of a wrapper are you using? I have been trying to do add ins like what you did on your guide wraps but they come out like **** because i am having to hold the spool of thread in my hand and try to do it. I though about getting the flex coat wrapper becayuse it has tensioners and all the spool holders

Ramon

·
Registered
165 Posts
>>Why did you use so manny guides on that, wouldn;t six and the tip be ok?
So the blank loads correctly. You might be able to use 7-8 taller heavier guides but I'm more from the "use more lighter guides " school.

>> what kind of a wrapper are you using?
I built one from some casters, a 3/8" drill, sewing machine foot control, some scrap wood and made a thread tensioner from 1/4" bolts and felt. The inlays are easy to do once you have something that frees both hands
. I think Ive about $40-$50 bucks in it and half of that was the foot control. I after building 5 rods on it there are couple of things I don't like and one of these days I'm going to rebuild it to make it a better.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sounds like you have it all worked out. I was going to use the heavy boat guides using these guides 20 16 12 10 10 8 and 10 tip. I have been looking all day long at the holo guides and I think that I will use them but, with the black frames. It makes me feel better about them. I have been trying to imagine in my mind what it is going to look like and I think it will end up looking awesome. I wish I had a silver accurized reel to put on there. Maybe I will buy an Avet lol.

Ramon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts