2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
For the Fish!!
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had two people tell me that there was a problem with the flounder in the Lower Laguna Madre. I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this. I have never caught a flounder there, but that is just me.
If this has been posted before, I'm sorry. :)

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I don't live or fish the LLM, but this is the first I have ever heard of a problem with flounder. Any news of the LLM is usually carried in our local paper and TV news. Too many people from Corpus that will make the run down the land cut and Drive the island to Mansfield not to keep informed.

I once heard that the flounder and trout in Baffin and the cut were shorter per body weight than fish from bays.

·
All my friends say.....
7,395 Posts
I know there aint a lot of them, or they are atleast really hard to find any numbers of them. That is in the LLM south of Port Mansfield.

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,851 Posts
I guess I never really thought about it but I don't ever remember catching one down there either and I have fished from SPI many, many times. Must be something to do with the hyper-salinity I suppose. I wonder if they are caught in any of the Mexico bay systems further south?

·
**Follow me to certain death**
1,015 Posts
There use to be good numbers of them. Commercial fishing has hit them purdy good.

Coleman and a Gig from the spoils of the East cut to Cullens use to get quite a few.

My Grand Dad fished Portmansfield for 20 years only at night and never took a rod, just a gig. Some of the numbers and stories Ive heard growing up, I know our numbers are nowhere close to where they use to be.

They are still there, just have to target them if your going rod and reel. Figure the kind of stucture, dropoffs, bars, drainig cuts..etc they like, and be patient.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I caught several last year fishing the same spot south of PM but that seems to be the only spot in the area that I have ever caught one???

·
Registered
149 Posts
Flounder

I catch a few just south of Port Mansfield in what I call my flounder spot. There is a guy that fishes out of the arroyo that seems to catch a bunch of them at a time. He used to post on wadefishing.com.

·
Life is a Trip!
819 Posts
They are here alright, but except for very few places and times, harder to target with a rod & reel. However, you should see the commercial slaughter on the East Cut during Nov-Dec. It's ugly to say the least, and you wonder where & the heck they've been all year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts