2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it my imagination or does 10 lb. line have a bit more tendency to backlash vs. for example 12 lb. line or heavier.

It seems I can "thumb" thicker line and control back lashing a bit more.

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Banned
3,906 Posts
If you fish with smaller line and still fill up the spool, you definitely run a greater risk of backlashing because there is more line on the reel. If you want to fish a smaller line, pack it on as tightly as poissible.

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
All I throw is 10lb P-Line. I only fill up to about 1/4"-5/16" from the top of the spool. Filling any more is where things start getting messy for me.

·
15,099 Posts
I use 14 suffix and fill it to the rim.....I would think something as small as 10 would tend to backlash more but I never use that small of line..

·
I just love rod threads! No Spam baby
3,776 Posts
yes

IMO, Thinner line will over run easier and is harder to pick out.

I usually carry a few rods on my boat. My 10# is clear line.
I use green 12# also. So I can tell or loan and know exactly what I am using.

I fill my reels very full to get extra distance. I change my line every few trips usually. A small nick in 10# and you really risk a break off.
Line is the cheapest thing we use. Change it often. IMO

·
Registered
262 Posts
there should only be a slight diff. Try adding a little to the braking system, and make sure that you put the line on the reel very tightly. every once in a while, throw a long cast and retrieve line through your fingers to get it back on the spool snugly.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Yes 10 lb will nest up a little easier than 12 pound and 10 pound will break on any type of nick in the line. However I do like using 10 pound in the wintertime especially when fishing west bay in that gin clear water. I also like using it when wading because of the extra distance. I do change 10 pound test after every 2nd trip. I use nothing but Berkely big game for mono. If it aint broke dont fix it!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts