2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 1989 88 Special Johnson which is leaking, some "jet black oil, down below the cowling. I can't find a definite spot inside the cowling, but it is coming out where the cowling meets the top of the engine shaft. Draining down both sides of the lower unit. Never had this problem before, so this is a new one to me...... Any ideas or has anyone had this same problem before??? Appreciated....

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Check The Mounting Bolts, Where The Power Head Mounts To The Lower Unit, Since This Motor Is A Premix Motor It May Be Oil That Has Not Burned In The Motor And Is Being Blown Out Thru The Exhaust.

·
Starboard List
1,882 Posts
Exhaust gaskets.

Mine use to do that. It didn't effect the way it ran other than the black crud looking bad. You can try decarbing it with a can of sea foam. If that doesn't help you have to replace the exhaust gasket.
--Hop

FishinTheBarge said:
I've got an 1989 88 Special Johnson which is leaking, some "jet black oil, down below the cowling. I can't find a definite spot inside the cowling, but it is coming out where the cowling meets the top of the engine shaft. Draining down both sides of the lower unit. Never had this problem before, so this is a new one to me...... Any ideas or has anyone had this same problem before??? Appreciated....

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate it guys. Buddy of mine and I thought that might be the case, but just wanted to check with some fellow boaters.. I'll check that and the carbs.. Thanks!!

·
Borders, language, culture
6,344 Posts
We have the same engine. Too say it is not environmentally friendly is an understatement! I bet a lot of the goo just built up somewhere and it is now finding its way out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts