2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Fishin' 4 Crappie
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 year old live oak that blew over during Ike. It fell toward the house. I stood it back up and it seems to be doing fine. I was wondering if the tree will tend to fall the same way when it gets older.

·
Fishin' 4 Crappie
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate that. I have been told that it might create a weak spot and the tree end up on the house down the road.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My brother had one that went over when Alicia came through, we staked it up fertilized and packed top soil around the base. Left it that way for 2 years cut it loose and it made it through Ike. I think it depends on how long it has to set the root system before it is hit again. There was a lot of tree damage in this storm but it would have been worse if the ground would of been saturated before the storm came in.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Split live oak tree

Had a 20 year old 18 inch caliber split right in half and was told to bore hole through and use all thread with large washers/nuts to tighten tree back together. Also told to use more than 1 all thread, better to use 2-3. Never use clamp strap to tighten tree back together as it will kill tree in time but holes in tree will allow it to survive.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I had oak that bent way over during Alicia in 1983 (I think) and I straightened it up sort of. It had a slight lean to it. I thought it gave it character. In any event, it survived Ike. So, I have to agree with howly.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
If I were you I would do a few things to help prevent it from falling on your house. It is still a young tree. I would stake it up, use fertilizer sticks around the base to get the roots growing strong fast. Also you might want to pack in some mulch and soil. I am no expert I was just told to do this to a young tree that fell during Ike as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts