2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Boatright custom flats
3,826 Posts
If you have a boat, the bigger sharks can be caught a mile or two offshore with ease. I've been catching some 5 footers using mullet or menhaden, and chumming a little while drifting. All of them have been caught freelining bait with no weight. (I'm actually looking for kingfish, but catching tons of sharks) Spinners, blacktips and Atlantic Sharpnose are thick out there. The little 12"-24" pups are thick in the surf, the bigger ones are hanging a little further out.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I am new to this shark fishing and to this board but in the last two weekends, drifting in the surf near the Galveston north jetty have caught over 50 sharks all from 1 1/2' to 3 1/2' foot. Had 2 big ones break me off.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CamoWhaler said:
I am new to this shark fishing and to this board but in the last two weekends, drifting in the surf near the Galveston north jetty have caught over 50 sharks all from 1 1/2' to 3 1/2' foot. Had 2 big ones break me off.
You mite want to chek where the line broke off could be the learders had that happen to me.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I went out and bought a bigger reel just for shark fishing after my first trip out there with trout rods. So i picked up a abu 10,000. The one without the level wind, i have it on a 6'6" american rodsmith rod, spooled with 500 yards of 50# power pro, and then a top shot of about 60 yards of 80# mono, and then on top of that i had a 4' 175# steel leader. we were drifting the surf with a big chunk of cut bait. I had the bait clicker on and the reel in free spool, something picked it up and started running with it, i let it run for about 5 seconds and then clicked the reel in gear while it was still in the rod holder. The rod doubled over and did nto slow down at all, took it out and janked on it twice to set the hook and it ran off about 30 yards of line then broke off. when i real it up my leader is gone and the last 3' of mono was all tore up and frayed. Where did I go wrong, or what would have caused this?

·
Just call me JJ
7,582 Posts
CamoWhaler said:
Where did I go wrong, or what would have caused this?
He's running away and his tail slapping your 80# mono. Try using a longer leader, 4' steel to 6' (or more) 550# mono, then your 80# top shot. Still nice fight though wasn't it? :) Oh by the way, with 4' of leader and 3' of torn up mono you probably had a 7 footer on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts