2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next weekend i plan on putting on a hyro. jack plate. have a few questions for anyone who knows about putting on jack plates.

1. will i need to extend my steering and wires from my helm or will factory be plenty?

2. What is the best jack plat, with the least amout of problems.

3. do you notice a change in fuel consumption when you use a jack.

Thanks for the help. looking forward to jacking up my motor. :)

·
Member when we usta.......?
2,835 Posts
1. Unless your going 10" there's probably plenty.
2. I have a CMC. From all my reading here, if I replace it, it will be a Bob's.
3. Mine had one to start with so I don't know.

G

·
Ankle Deep Custom Rods
3,467 Posts
If you use a 10" you will have to extend your cables, and go with a Bob's I would say they are the best out there, for sure the fastest up and down.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The Detwiller or Bob's Jack plate are the better in my opinion. They both use an external pump rather than a pump that is mounted to the Jack Plate. The CMC comes with an internal pump which is exposed to the salt spray from your motor. I worked as a mechanic a few years back and replaced alot of CMC motors. The Detweiler or Bobs are in my opinion the better buy. You will not have to extend your steering or shift/throttle cables unless they are very tight now. Your fuel economy will get better due to running lower RPM's while Jacked Up. You will notice that your RPM's will become higher if you jack up and you will increase speed. To conserve gas lower the RPM's and keep the same speed. Also, be warned about the chance of loosing water pressure. I would recccomend a water pressure guage if you do not have one. You can over heat easily if you run with the plate up. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
topwtr#1 said:
The Detwiller or Bob's Jack plate are the better in my opinion. They both use an external pump rather than a pump that is mounted to the Jack Plate. The CMC comes with an internal pump which is exposed to the salt spray from your motor. I worked as a mechanic a few years back and replaced alot of CMC motors. The Detweiler or Bobs are in my opinion the better buy. You will not have to extend your steering or shift/throttle cables unless they are very tight now. Your fuel economy will get better due to running lower RPM's while Jacked Up. You will notice that your RPM's will become higher if you jack up and you will increase speed. To conserve gas lower the RPM's and keep the same speed. Also, be warned about the chance of loosing water pressure. I would recccomend a water pressure guage if you do not have one. You can over heat easily if you run with the plate up. Hope this helps.
what about the whale tail i have now? do i need to get it off and get a plate that will push water around my motor better? I think the 8 inch lift should be fine for what we do. I think with a 10 " lift new cables would be needed. one of the guys at work said if you get to high in the tunnel you will or can blow out and do a 180 throwing everyone out of the boat. I had never heard of such a thing. have you?

·
Ankle Deep Custom Rods
3,467 Posts
What kind of boat are you running? I do not run a plate on my Haynie for instance, some boats they will improve your shallow water capabilties.......you can blow out if you raise to high, doing the 180 depends on the type of hull your running....Hulls like Explorers and such with the higher bow angles are more apt to spin out if you shear off a wave or turn real sharp with the Jack fully raised.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kenner 21' with a tunnel. i mostly want the jack so i can take off in shallow water because she will run shallow already.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Bob's, with one mea culpa, if you mount the up/down control button on your console, avoid creating a 90 degree angle with the cable coming out of the control-I have had to replace the up/down button twice by mounting the cable with too much angle and causing one of the wires to break. Also, I use a Tran ventilation plate on the outdrive and can now run the engine in the 4" hole w/o blowing air. Improved my speed and fuel use and shallow water capabilities quite a bit. I fish a mod vee (non tunnel) hull-Hewes...Tight lines....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts