2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
"Converting Bait to Filets Since 1964"
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 16' trailer with tandem 3500 lb axels. Am I safe to put a 5,000 lb tractor on this trailer?

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Net carrying capacity = 7000# - trailer weight = net

You will be marginal, but I do it all the time.. if you do not have brakes on the trailer, you better be careful..

towing is the easy part, stopping is the hard part...

SG

·
DS1262
2,137 Posts
Your trailer axles have the capacity, but the real story is condition of the trailer and especially the tires. You can overload trailer axles and in most cases get away with it. Overload bad tires and things get tricky very quickly.

·
"Converting Bait to Filets Since 1964"
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tires are all good. Thanks

·
Retired and working
1,571 Posts
Are you pulling it with a decent truck? Should be no problem but watch your tongue weight and stopping distance.

·
Tripped Outtings
2,261 Posts
safe

A 16' trailer with 2-3500lbs axles is only rated at 3500lbs max WITHOUT trailer brakes, and 7,000lbs ONLY with trailer brakes. You can haul it without brakes and the trailer is mechanically heavy enough no doubt, but get stopped by DPS and he will write you several tickets for over loading(if it has no brakes). Unless you go get Farm tags and then you can get away with hauling 15,000lbs on it without brakes if the springs don't break first.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Also- If you get pulled over DPS/HPD and they do a DOT inspection. You will need some items, check me but I think the following is needed.

Grade 70 transport chain on all four corners (it's the gold colored chain)
Ratchet binders on each chain (not lever binders)
Grade 70 chain on each other item (bucket,mower,tiller,etc) regardless if it's attached to the tractor or not.

Note-Yellow tie downs straps do not meet the regulations.

Check all this with DOT-It's been a few years since I looked it up.

In real life if you have it chained down well, most will let home users go. Commerical users and overloaded trailer get your check book out.

Terry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts