2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sun Oil, Sunday 7/29/07

I got to the beach at sunup, surf was calm with a few 1.5' rollers coming in. I chunked top water for about an hour with two small dinks to show for my effort. Others started to show up and we rigged the kayaks for the day. Not much action to speak of until Roddawg gets a good run on a ballon bait. He gets towed a little ways before we get a good look at the fish, 5' Bull shark. He plays him a little more before reaching out to touch the leader. On any shark when you first touch the leader he goes crazy. You must make it a point to not grab it, but just put enough pressure on the leader to see how the fish will react. This step may have to be repeated several times before you can grab the leader and control the large fish.

Rodawg grabbing the leader for the fist time, and the classic shower shot. :lol:

Lot going on in this next pic, and none of it is nice. The picture does make it look much, much worst then it is in real life. Often still life can distort reality such as in this case. It looks like the shark is about to climb into the kayak with Roddawg. Got a big fin in the kayak, and about to jump in on his lap. The look on his face is priceless. The wake that the shrak is pushing up is huge. Lot of effort on the sharks part and Roddawg.

But the truth is that the shark started to roll, like bull sharks often will do. The bull shark acted like it was done fighting, let Roddawg grab the leader. Then started a roll on him, when they roll beside a kayak it is cool. Not so much for the person with the leader in there hands, but for the onlookers. For the most part unless you put your hand into the sharks mouth, no way he can get you in this case. I have been tring to get this pic for a few years. I will admit that I love this pic, but sure it will scare the **** out of some people that do not read the text of the report.

Last pic is the money shot, congrats Rodawg.

Overall it was a slow day with lot of action, if that makes any sense. No bull reds, and only one shark of any size. Sure the big moon last night played a role in the slow day. Lot of finetooth sharks around, every few minutes someone was getting a screaming run. Lot of gafftops around also. Water was offcolor, bait of choise was fresh mullet.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Man that was nutz. As JR mentioned above about touching the leader, I would touch the leader a couple times before applying any pressure and sometimes barely touching the leader, then WHOOOSH. Shark's not ready.

Finally almost laying vertical, touch the leader nothing, brain tells me apply pressure, ready for pic, lift for pic and wouldn't you know........ the DAYUUUUUM critter wants to practice it's deep water re-entry by putting it's fin on the kayak and climb in with me. Dropped the leader quickly, couple more attempts and finally it behaved long enough for a still shot. Thanks for taking those actions pics JR.

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
Fantastic Report ...

Jolly Roger, I come into work looking forward to your fishing reports. Thanks! And keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
362 Posts
No way!!!!!!! I would have to go in and change pants and wash out the yak!!! All you guys have big ones!! Great photos and report, thanks.

·
TexasRedfishHunters
108 Posts
1st things first awsome catch and pics love the shower scene and then the look on his face like some opened the shower curtain, GET OUT OF HERE! ALso what happens if you enter the water while trying to land a beast of this nature? has anybody swam with sharks tha are attached to hooks?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts