2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in college and dont have the money for a dove lease, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the annual public hunting permit? I live in Corpus Chirsti and thought about giving the public land a try? Just wanting to know if any members have done any public land hunting or had any experiences with the program. Thanks in advance for the info, Jason

·
Registered
218 Posts
Public Bird Hunts

Jason -

I started buying Annual Hunting Permits when my son got too old for me to convince the leaseholder that he was just along as my birdboy. Once day leases reached $40 a day, it was just too pricy to do much hunting. The AHPs helped solve that.

For doves, I've been on some TPW leased lands and really good hunts and I've been on some where the birds were few and far between. By the same token, I've paid day lease money for equal results. The main thing for dove hunting on the TPW leased lands is to do some pre-season scouting. You can't get on these ranches before the season starts, but you can drive past or stop on the road and watch for birds and flight patterns to get a feel for a place. Even a place that is full of birds one day, may not be holding any a few days later.

This past Friday was a perfect example of that. I hunted a TPW lease that I hunted opening day last year. Last year, I took a limit of mourning doves and so did my wife. While I was cleaning birds at the tailgate of my pick-up, the white-wings started flying over heading back into Dilley. If we hadn't already limited out, we could have easily taken our limit of WWs in a short time. This year I hunted alone on Friday and could only scrape up 5 birds with no WWs in the mix. A week or so from now, who knows what one will find. In my opinion, tho', any day in the field (or on the water) is better than an afternoon in front of the TV or at the office.

At $48 the AHP is worth every dime. It grants you access to virtually all the state owned or operated lands. You can hunt ducks on Matagorda Island and the TPW staff will drive you out to your own personal fresh water pond. You can hunt quail at Chaparral or around Choke Canyon. Without having to be drawn in the lottery, you can hunt endless acres of of east Texas forests for whitetail deer or run up the Angelina and Neches rivers to hunt ducks in the timber. You can go back to Chap or Choke in April and hunt Rio Grand turkey. You can have access and do it all for about what you have to pay for one day's dove hunting if you're booking a hunt on a day lease. Are you guaranteed a successful bag? Not hardly, but then that's why it's called hunting and not killing. IMHO, it's worth the $.

Bob

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Greatest $49 hunt money will buy

I live in aransas Pass and hunt the fields over by Riviera and Alice lots of birds but can chance with the weather. Give me a call . 361-758-6993
It is well worth the money
Lobo Jim Fowler

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for all the great info! I would pay the $48, just to go once but for a year you cant beat the price. For me its not about the success, just the opportunity. I have a field trip to the A&M ranch this weekend, but next week I should be ready to go. My number is 361-658-2286, if anyone needs a shooting partner or I can be a pretty good bird dog. Thanks for all the great info. Jason

·
Registered
419 Posts
on the permit do they offer any pig hunting? , i have thought of buying one just to hunt ducks.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Pigs on some of the WMAs

Each WMA has its own rules on what's legal game and when you can gain access. I read throught the whole book a couple of weeks ago and do recall feral hogs being legal on some properties. i'll recheck my book and post up with what I find.

If you're thinking about ducks, the Matagorda hunt is pretty neat. You have to be able to get out to the State Park facility on the island for a 5 AM check in, but you can take the ferry out the night before and camp or make the run in the dark across Espiritu from Charlie's or POC. There's about 20 ponds down the middle of the island and the rangers will take you down the road in their bus, drop you and your dekes off in the dark and point you in the general direction of the pond you've been assigned. Assignments are drawn from a hat back at the barn before you get on the bus. It's a pretty neat deal for a duck hunt, plus, if you're camping on the island, you can gig flounder the evening before. Everybody ought to do it at least once.

Bob

·
Registered
218 Posts
Bigreave...

There are numerous WMAs that permit feral hog hunting, some by archery only, some by any legal method. The closest to you looks to be Somerville which is archery only. Another that's not too far from Bryan is Aquilla PHA, 9700 acres just to the SW of Hillsboro ( Feral hogs, Sept 1- May 8 - [no bag limit] Muzzleloaders, shotguns with slugs or buckshot, crossbows and lawful archery equipment are the only means allowed) Granger WMA is archery and crossbows only. There are others from North Texas to East Texas that also allow hog hunting. It appears that rifles (other than muzzleloaders) are not permitted anywhere. Muzzleloaders are not permitted on all WMAs, just a few.

Bob

·
Certified Bile Spewer
1,398 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts