2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...Ok, who is putting in and for what?

I'm looking at Fairfield, Guadalupe River, Perdanales Falls, Colorado Bend or Hill country.
Does anyone have any input on any of these for meat hunts, deer and or hogs?
We'll have to post if we get any permits later so we can have a cold one if we end up at the same spots.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I applied for the gator hunts, pronghorn, archery deer @ Daughtery, rifle deer @ Chapparal (I know wishful thinking), management hunt @ Matador. If you get drawn for Colorado Bend then you should not have any problem getting some meat. I have been drawn for several in years past but nothing recently, the hardest hunt was on the Chap in Ocober but if you hunt the place in December it is a whole different world. We hunted Kerr for exotics several years ago and out of the four of us there was one Axis doe and a couple of hogs shot, my brother got a shot at a large Axis but don't think that he connected as we spent several hours searching with no sign. Good luck

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hey,
If you want a real good hog hunting area.
Put in for MadIsland.
If your not picked,go standby.
I had been putting in for the area for 10 years,and on the 10th year I got picked.
Everyone killed pigs,some killed 3-4 in one hunt.
But the skeeters will pick you up and fly away with you.
Man they are big and bad''''''.
They had about 10 guys there for standby,at that hunt.
I think about 6 out of the ten standby hunters go to hunt.
The next year I went standby with my brother and uncle.
We got picked,standby.
I shot 3 hogs my Uncle shot 2,and my brother shot 1
But everyone on the hunt killed hogs.
One guy killed a Russian boare,with long cutters,huge hog.
But the meat wasn't as good as hogs shot in East Texas.
Maybe because of what they were eating,along the salt mash??

·
Senior Mumbler
11,515 Posts
I've thought about putting in for gun/deer/either sex at Chapparal but the kill ratios look bad. What is with that? Also put in (donate actually) for all the big time hunts. Be kinda cool if they'd do one for an off shore fishing trip with you and say 3 or 4 buddies!

·
Getting shallower means chewing mud
1,643 Posts
I'm not sure where all I put in for. My buddy does it all and I just pay my part. :) I'll post up if I find out where.

We're going to hunt Kerr for exotics in September. In about 7 years, it is out first time to get drawn for anything. jj, PM coming your way for some tips.

Tim

·
Senior Mumbler
11,515 Posts
By the way - I have accumulated 9 notices of non selection... 9!!! All were for gun/deer/either sex. I can get drawn of elk, mule deer, antelope, Oryx in other states but I can't get a single draw for 9 straight years in TX. I guess if I picked up a bow and a stick I could better my odds. But then the deer's odds go up astronomically too. LOL

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
TimOub007 said:
I'm not sure where all I put in for. My buddy does it all and I just pay my part. :) I'll post up if I find out where.

We're going to hunt Kerr for exotics in September. In about 7 years, it is out first time to get drawn for anything. jj, PM coming your way for some tips.

Tim
PM returned.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
bluefin said:
I've thought about putting in for gun/deer/either sex at Chapparal but the kill ratios look bad. What is with that?
I have hunted the Chap several times with bow and I beleive the reason the kill ratios are lower than other area's is because of people holding out for the big one. The area has some super bucks but hunting outside the rut on the area can be very tough, the area is as thick as any brush country I have hunted and with no baiting allowed the deer movement seems to depend alot on the weather and the rut. We have hunted it for several days in October and not seen very many deer and went back in December and it was a whole different story.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Put in for all of them! Have gotten selected for the Javelina hunts in the past! Still trying and trying and trying!

·
http://morrisontaxidermy.com/
316 Posts
I have been putting in for the Chap since the program started. I think I have 16 preference points for the GDE hunt. I got drawn for a doe hunt at colorado Bend about 10 years ago and I harvested 3 doe. I got drawn for another doe hunt about 4 years ago at one of the ones in south-west Texas. The guy in the compartment next (and I mean NEXT) to me had some sort of assault rifle that he took great pleasure in emptying the clip at rocks. Packed up my stuff and made like a baby. I hadn't made my mind up yet about which ones to pick for this year. Good luck to all that enter.

James

·
Registered
13 Posts
Second year in the lottery...

This is my second year in the public system. I always choose Huntsville and Inks Lake. I think you have to be really lucky to get drawn, and even luckier to get your animal....

·
Life is tough, tougher if you are stupid
3,502 Posts
Some friends and I put in for a few last year and will do the same this year. Getting picked for a Brazos Bend State Park hunt would be sweet because it's relatively close!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts