2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will be heading down there for our yearly week of fishing and fun next Sunday. Normally bay fish and short offshore stuff but this year we are bringing the 31' Fountain. 1st- How's the channel at the jetties? Last year we were bumping bottom in a 21' er. 2nd- Any sugestions on areas to fish that have a wahoo or tuna who needs a new home. 3rd- I think there is a tourney of some kind later in that week. Anyone know anything about it. We will be there through the 30th and might fish it if possible. We will be staying at the condo's so if any 2coolers are down there come by and we can have a cold one. Just look for the Fountain and a 22' Gulf Coast. Thanks, Tony

Listen Up! I have something to say.

·
El jefe
2,616 Posts
am in pm right now jettie is fine but stick left in the channel , wahoo go to weather bouy or black fish rocks and high speed troll
tuna find the deep shrimper still trolling
the PMFT is always last week in july

·
Registered
160 Posts
harbor

the info on the jetty is correct, stay left about 10 yds of the north rocks, the center and south side are shallow. Also as you exit the harbor you will kick up mud as this is very shallow, but silty. fishing has been good this year.

·
Anything not prohibited is compulsory!
1,635 Posts
Pt. Mansfield weigh in

I'm pretty sure that the weigh-in is going to be at South Point Marina in Port Isabel, due to the jetty problems. It was there last year as well. If you keep your boat down there then you'll have no jetty problems. Just dockage problems.

·
Registered
160 Posts
tournament

you will be able to weigh in @ pt mansfield or pi. the jetty problems are blown way out of proportion. The pipe dream and gone south both 40ft plus boats go in and out all the time, just stay on the north side. bottom machine was reading 9 plus ft last week. be very carfefull at the mouth of the harbor and idle out the firt 100 yds or so watch you sounder.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys. If anyone wnats to meet up down there drop me a PM. I have a couple of days booked with Capt. Trisha at Skinny Water Adventures already so I'll give her a call to.

·
Duck removal service
1,037 Posts
North side is very do-able, but....Remember that if we have a hard afternoon/evening low tide running against a decent southeast or east wind that things can get pretty dicey trying to thread the needle getting in. It wouldn't be dangerous if you were paying attention but at the end of a long fishing day, right before entering the bay attention spans have a way of shrinking.

Hopefully my trailer will be in by then and I'll be running out of PM some also. As for float plans, consider running out to the 39 fathom bank and then take a southeast heading out to the 54 fathom ridge, down to Fireman's Hole and then in. That will take you right over very productive water for pretty much everything but yellowfin and leave you with a 'wind to your back' run in.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
have been through the masfield jetties the past two weeks, no problem on the north side. Have seen some decent sportfishers go through there without a problem also as well as up to a 36' contender.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the update Argo. Anyone have suggestions one baits for tuna/wahoo? We normally fish on the "mudbank" out of Sabine. Long run to deep water and we don't see many up here.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
you have about a 40 mile run to DEEP water. If you are used to running and have a fairly fast boat, I would run down to the canyon/smallhole/firemans hole in the morning and troll a big, it is about 53 miles from the jetties, 62 miles overall. Then make the run up to the 54 fathom ridge and troll that area and do some bottom drops if you want. You can also watch your bottom machine between canyon/smallhole/firemans hole for lots of structure. You may want an elec reel as the water is very deep. The run in from 54 fathom rocks is about 40 miles to the jetties, 9 miles from jetty mouth to PM. You will find down south that it gets dicey/windy in the afternoon and you will want to be running down hill on the ride in.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again Argo. Speed and distance aren't a problem. 31' Fountain w/ twin 250's. Everything you described is in our range and I'll keep the wind in mind. Last year when we were down there we had no wind at all. Bays and gulf were mirror flat until noon then light breezes from the ssw. Don't expect that this year, my lucks not that good. lol Looking foward to finding a wahoo!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts