2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Why knot?
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The warranty was already expired so I decided to do a little mechanical surgery. :) Two hours later and I am watching blu-ray movies again, Young Frankenstein, specifically. :)

All it takes is a Q-tip, a few drops of 99.953% pure isopropyl alcohol, a can of compressed air, a CD disc and few small hand tools. I got the idea to do this via searching for a cure on youtube. :) Once you finally get into the guts of the blu-ray drive you just coat one end of the Q-tip with the alcohol and lightly swirl it around the top of the laser eye, flip the Q-tip over and do the same thing with the dry end. I don't suggest this for everyone, especially the heavy handed, but it worked fine for me.

Just a heads up for those that may be having the same problem. Don't throw the thing away if you're an adventurous sort. Give this a try first.

Rick

·
Remember the Veterans
8,047 Posts
We, as a culture, are lossing our ability to do repairs of any kind, on anything. I guess that's why our country quit manufacturing anything years ago and decided it was better to make the Chinese rich!!!

good post....thanks

·
Custom User Title space for rent
5,212 Posts
Good to see cleaning the laser worked for now. To others with the same problem: If it is out of the 2 year warranty it might need a free software update to read newer blurays. Software changes dang near monthly on blurays.

·
Maker of laser engraved switch panels
3,766 Posts
How do you do the update? My friend has one and it says that it needs an new validation or something like that to play a movie we were trying to watch the other day.

·
5,212 Posts
How do you do the update? My friend has one and it says that it needs an new validation or something like that to play a movie we were trying to watch the other day.
See Sony's website.

·
Why knot?
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have mine hard wired into my wireless router and I check for updates about once a month or so. The update feature is to the far left of the main menu screen and up one tick.

·
Maker of laser engraved switch panels
3,766 Posts
What if my friend does not have internet? How would he update it? If internet is needed as a direct connection to the ps3, how would one hook it up to a laptop?

·
5,212 Posts
What if my friend does not have internet? How would he update it? If internet is needed as a direct connection to the ps3, how would one hook it up to a laptop?
Visit a library to uppdate the PS3.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts