2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Jacka$$ Moment
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gotta brag on my daughter and fellow 2cooler, Britta Bug, for this opening weekend!

To set it up, I had been bow hunting most all week before opening day, as well as opening weekend, and hadn't seen anything. My wife and daughter had hunted Saturday morning and evening, and Sunday morning without seeing anything either. One of the guys on the lease had seen quite a few deer and even a good buck, but they were (according to his rangefinder) in the road on top of the hill at 268 yards. Since he was leaving after his Sunday morning hunt, he said my daughter could hunt his stand.

I put her on stand that Sunday evening with her Win.243 and told her that if she had to make that shot, put the horizontal line in her crosshairs on the top of the deer's back and squeeze the trigger. Well that evening about 5:40pm, I heard the shot! She got her a "goat headed" spike buck right at 270 yards!! I call it a "goat head" because the spikes were about 4 inches long and lay back flat on his head, hid behind the ears, making him look like a big doe. She made a perfect shot right behind the shoulder, missing both of them. He ran about 50 yards and was done for. When she told me about the shot, and there wasn't much of a trail at all, I had my doubts about how true it was. I KNOW she can shoot VERY well and I have some of her hunts on video to prove it. I told her how to make the shot if she took it and she followed my instructions to a "T". By now it is dark and there wasn't much of blood trail to track at all and I had started to give up hopes of finding that deer. Some of the good folks on the lease heard about the downed deer and came to help track it. Within about 5 minutes someone hollered "There it is!"

I can't even begin to tell you the pride that hit my chest when we actually laid eyes on him! Seeing that perfect shot at that distance blew me away! She has become a fantastic markswoman and hunter! Special thanks to Mike for the loan on the stand and to those good folks on the "Split Toe Ranch" that helped us track that deer. I'll post pics as soon as I get them. Way to go Britta!

Dad (Dook)

·
Registered
471 Posts
That's cool. I was hoping she was gonna get something.

She got her a "goat headed" spike buck right at 270 yards!! I call it a "goat head" because the spikes were about 4 inches long and lay back flat on his head, hid behind the ears, making him look like a big doe.
It didnt look like this did it? :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
As one of the trackers, I have to say that Britta made a great shot. We did not have to go far to recover that deer. You should have seen dad bouncing around with joy when we recovered that deer. I think he was more excited about it than she was. Congrats to both shooter and the pround father for giving her the oppurtunity to be there and make the shot. I will remind David to send those pictures to you Dookie Ray. See you all out there next time.

Chuck

·
Registered
471 Posts
Yep, pretty close. OOPS! Hope you weren't looking for him!
Shoot, man... I'm glad she got it. Someone needed to take that one out. Freaky for sure. I'm proud of her myself. That was a heck of a shot that I know several grown men couldn't make. Don't you worry... There's plenty of fish in the sea and I got loads of bait / hooks. hehehe

Chuck,
Glad you were able to help out on finding that bad boy. :cheers: Hate to lose any of 'em... esp. for a youngster.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts