2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Duck removal service
1,034 Posts
The thing that keeps me from getting a cat is that I'm very suspicious of their value in trolling for pelagics. In my observation, except in areas that have a real problem with rough water, nobody who is serious about trolling runs a cat. I don't know if this is just a boat fashion thing or if those wide spaced outboards make a nasty wake or what. Maybe there isn't anything to it but none of the big time offshore trolling boats that I can think of are twin hulled. At least that is the way it appears to me. As a bottom fishing machine I don't think that there is any argument as to a cats superiority. I'll bet some of the guys running cats can shed some light on this.

· Duck removal service
1,034 Posts
Just to make sure that I was understood. I am not necessarily of the opinion that Cats $uck as trolling machines. I do have too much anxiety about my observation as to the seeming trend of snapper guys with cats and tuna/billfish guys with monohulls to actually plunk down the large dollars for a boat I plan to have for a while. After all, since the ride is inarguably superior in a cat, why isn't everybody running them? Since I spend about 3/4 of the time chasing pelagics I want to make sure that the hull I choose is best suited for that activity. As for the boat not making the fisherman, absolutely. But in an all other things being equal game, which this is, it's a good idea to pay attention to what you really want. You don't have to read this board long to see plenty of sad stories about the boat/fisherman marriage not working out. Hopefully that will smooth any feathers that I inadvertantly ruffled and maybe someone will post up whether they have made the same observation in boat owner trend and the guys that drag baits behind cats will discuss the wake issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.