2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never caught a shark much over 14". Maybe one day I'll land the big one. If I do land one bigger than a mullet how do you release it without losing a calf. The legs of beginner shark fishermen would love your input.

·
On the hunt for Pez Gallo.
597 Posts
releasing a shark is pretty easy depending in how its hook and if the shark is still green (green meaning very much still ready to fight). if you're using circle hooks, the hook will lodge itself just in the corner of the shark's jaw. but, if you're using "J" hooks, there is no telling where the hook will be set. in most occasions, the shark will ingest the hook deep inside it's mouth exactly where you don't wanna be. SO.....dont feel bad about cutting a leader and letting the shark keep it, it will rust out. if you see that the hook has set into the gills, intend on keeping that shark. it will die then. another aspect to look at in releasing a shark goes back in the level of the sharks fight, if it's a fast fight and hook removal, no prob in setting it back to the water. but if it has been a long fight and the shark come's in with no struggle, be sure to guide the shark back out. sharks must have water passes through them in order to breath, once they come too...they take off, i've never had a single shark turn back on me yet. not saying it cant happen. well hope this helped out, happy sharkin.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
When releasing it, hold the dorsal with one hand, and the tail with the other. Stay behind the shark, and slowly work it back and forth to get it going again. Make sure you release in a decent depth of water. Try giving it a push to send it on it's way. Hope this helps, but be careful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts