2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you put your motor in gear while you are transporting your boat on the road? Is a turning prop traveling down the road wearing out the bearings?

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
if the prop is turning, it wont hurt the bearings. (as long as there is oil in there!)

G-Money said:
Do you put your motor in gear while you are transporting your boat on the road? Is a turning prop traveling down the road wearing out the bearings?

·
Starboard List
1,882 Posts
I put mine in gear when making long tows. It's not so much as the bearings wearing out but, the seals on the shaft. I've heard that the heat can build up in the lower unit and cause the seals to leak. I'm not sure if it really helps it's just what an old salt told me. I know a lower unit gets hot when running from exhaust and just the friction from the gears. I find it hard to belive that it could get that hot out of the water. You never know, I stick mine in gear just for the piece of mind. Just don't forget to put it back in "N" at the ramp. You'll spend a good 4-5 minutes trying to figure out why the motor won't start. LOL
--Hop

·
Emorys Daddy
1,376 Posts
Not a hijack but how can you keep the motor centered while traveling? My transom saver is beat up and my Johnson GT 150 motor only has the steering cable exposed enough for one of those orange clips to keep it centered. Any ideas???

·
Registered
612 Posts
NFB STEERING

Steven H said:
Not a hijack but how can you keep the motor centered while traveling? My transom saver is beat up and my Johnson GT 150 motor only has the steering cable exposed enough for one of those orange clips to keep it centered. Any ideas???
GET NO FEEDBACK STEERING HELM PROBLEM SOLVED

·
JD Clowney Has Rabies.
5,338 Posts
a lot of people will argue that driving down the road with your prop spinning is bad and i have heard it is not bad but i play it safe and just throw it in gear. can't hurt it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input guy's, looks like i'll put it in gear while traveling long distances. I'd like the peace of mind also.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Team Castaway said:
It "could" cause premature wear on your water pump.

Sorry but the water pump can only turn when the DRIVE shaft is turning!!!!
The prop shaft, would turn but the the bearings have oil on them so no problem. The seals will not over heat, it is the same as on a lawnmower or other small engine output shaft that do not run in water. the shaft turn with out any cooling on them on the outer seals.

·
archTech
8,621 Posts
Team Castaway said:
It "could" cause premature wear on your water pump. I think everything else is safe. I put mine in gear, it won't hurt anything and it keeps any rumored issues at rest.
The impellor in the water pump does not turn with the engine off and the gear case in neutral.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
I have also heard about the water pump wearing out but after the earlier posts I guess now I know the real answer, but then again it only takes 5 seconds to put it in gear when you leave the ramp.

·
Registered
254 Posts
It indeed is true.. the WP doesn't turn unless the engine is on. The seals are not a problem...it's just like the outdrive shaft seal on a trucks tranny or the CV outdrive shafts coming out of a tansmission. They are lubricated/cooled from the oil on the inner side of the seal.

Design/quality of the seal probably had to do more with it ever leaking than anything else. Some mfg. parts are just cheap and are known for failing until they come up with a new revision of the part. I've seen this so many times in automotive. Over time you notice different revisions to fix the problem that initally occurred way too soon.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Yep, it's official.... I'm retarded! I stand corrected. I would gather that is why we have water pressure when sitting in neutral at the dock and not moving? I don't know why I was thinking that. I know better than that.

If you are worried, put it in gear.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
TC, THAT A GOOD ONE!!! LOL
Just as the saying goes: "believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear" !

Team Castaway said:
It "could" cause premature wear on your water pump. I think everything else is safe. I put mine in gear, it won't hurt anything and it keeps any rumored issues at rest.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Mine is always in gear, I followed a boat from Cuero to Seadrift last Friday and you couldn't see the blades it was spinning so fast.....In my opinion its needless wear on your lower unit oil.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I always feel like I'm getting better gas mileage with the prop turning while I'm towing...kinda pushing me forward.

:D

·
Old ******
4,526 Posts
The real reason you should always put the boat in gear when travelling is that once those props get spinning up to a certain speed it will actually lift the rear of your boat and trailer up off of the roadway and could cause an accident...or at the very least could cause hydroplanning on a wet roadway. The old helicopter effect.

·
JD Clowney Has Rabies.
5,338 Posts
Slightly Dangerous said:
The real reason you should always put the boat in gear when travelling is that once those props get spinning up to a certain speed it will actually lift the rear of your boat and trailer up off of the roadway and could cause an accident...or at the very least could cause hydroplanning on a wet roadway. The old helicopter effect.
Are you serious? The amount of boats i have tow long distance from bass boats to a 28 foot boat i have never seen that. Anyway if you have a light enough boat that would lift off then you should probably have it strapped down because a bump on the road would pick it before the prop spinning to fast would. i don't want to insult anyone but i would love to see that happen.

·
Banned
51 Posts
whistlingdixie said:
Are you serious? The amount of boats i have tow long distance from bass boats to a 28 foot boat i have never seen that. Anyway if you have a light enough boat that would lift off then you should probably have it strapped down because a bump on the road would pick it before the prop spinning to fast would. i don't want to insult anyone but i would love to see that happen.
ARE YOU STUPID????? IT WAS A JOKE

1 - 20 of 35 Posts