2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am going pronghorn hunting in sept up in wyoming, taking my 30.06 and 300 win mag.
i prefer my .06 but i am curious oppinions on the right round to take. i ussually take 165 gr balistic silver tips but they are not the most accurate of shots. i took an atilope a couple years ago from about 400 yds with this shot but man i was not comfortable with the bullet. anyone have a suggestion?

·
We all have it coming......
8,792 Posts
Personally, I'd take the 300. And try Remington Premier 180 gr. Scirroco. Great round for med/large game at 200-400 yds.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Pronghorns as you know are not large animals and if the 165's are what your rifle likes, go with them. I am assuming that you are talking about the 165's for the '06. Anyway, either is more than adequate so just go with which ever you are more comfortable with. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
El Cazador said:
Pronghorns as you know are not large animals and if the 165's are what your rifle likes, go with them. I am assuming that you are talking about the 165's for the '06. Anyway, either is more than adequate so just go with which ever you are more comfortable with. Good luck!
i am most defiantely more comfortable with the .06. been shooting it for about 18 yrs now. i got the 300 for an elk hunt and ended up taking my elk wit hthe .06. short version on that story is we were out on a elk/mulley hunt and i like the .06 for mule deer so we were looking for them and as it always happens, BAM nice 5x6 bull pops out right infront of us (public land) so since my dad had his elk i took this one. never did even see a mulley worth the shot so i took a doe for some meat.

my grand father always told me there is not a single game animal in north america (and few in the world) that i cant take down with my 30.06.
i will most likely go with the 165 i use most often.

any more advice???

·
8,792 Posts
If you are comfortable with the 06 but, don't like the bullet, try the 150 gr. Scirroco. Will have similar ballistics to the ballistic tip with better bullet weight retention.

·
Registered
153 Posts
RJ, I'll be pronghorn hunting in Wyoming as well - Sept 23-27 near Glenrock. Where are you going? I am taking my 300 WSM. I shot the Supreme Accubond 180 grain on my Impala and Blesboks in Africa. Are pronghorn a lot smaller than those? Will that be too much? I open to suggestions...

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i am going in area 26 close to midwest(the town) wyoming.which is just a little north of you. my hunt days are sept 25,26,and 27th.
i am thinking about leaving the 22 to get up there a little early and getting back to houston around the 30th.
i personally dont like my 300 all that much and am (deep down inside) considering selling it but who knows, allways good to have a back up you know.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I hunbted Area 63 a few years ago. The thing about Pronghorns is your shot needs to drop them right away. Otherwise they get a big adrenalin rush and it makes the meat VERY strong.

For that reason I would use the .300. Practice your long shots. I'd also consider carying a bipod.

Charlie

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Whats the old saying, "Beware the man with just one gun." If you like the 06 shoot it. I've learned from guiding in Montana that most shots are missed because people aren't comfortable/familar with their rifles. I can't tell you how good if feels to have a new hunter in camp that says the 06 or whatever is the only rifle he owns. Leave the 300 at home or sell it to me at a great price.LOL

·
Banned
449 Posts
Don't believe those that think just because its a 300 mag it'll drop them quicker. I've had more instant drops with my 243s than with any of my 300s. IF a quick drop makes any difference to ya.

On the other note, shoot what you live with. And find ammo that shoots well in it. If it doesn't like 165s why use them? Makes you non confident and that is no good. Spend the money up front and test ammo till its good to go. Of course taking it to have it bedded, floated, trigger tweaked etc.. first is not a bad place to start if its not already done.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I am just going by balistics and statistical data. I could be wrong.

rost495 said:
Don't believe those that think just because its a 300 mag it'll drop them quicker. I've had more instant drops with my 243s than with any of my 300s. IF a quick drop makes any difference to ya.

On the other note, shoot what you live with. And find ammo that shoots well in it. If it doesn't like 165s why use them? Makes you non confident and that is no good. Spend the money up front and test ammo till its good to go. Of course taking it to have it bedded, floated, trigger tweaked etc.. first is not a bad place to start if its not already done.

Jeff

·
8,792 Posts
chunkn' charlie said:
I am just going by balistics and statistical data. I could be wrong.
I tend to agree with ya Charlie.

While I agree with rost495, the best gun for the job is the gun you are completely comfortable with......There is a WHOLE LOT of difference between the quick killing power of a 243 and a 300 win. mag. Exact same muzzle velocity, but, worlds of difference in thump-factor.

Ballistics below:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
rangerjohn said:
my grand father always told me there is not a single game animal in north america (and few in the world) that i cant take down with my 30.06.
True words.

I've always been told if you were to only have one rifle, get a .30-06. That's what I have and it has taken deer, pigs, elk, javalina, rabbits, snakes and numerous black dots on sheets of paper... It's a caliber that you can find the widest variety of manufacturers and grain and tip combinations.

To me, having a Remington 700 BDL .30-06 is to rifle hunting as the 12ga Remmington 870 Wingmaster is to birdhunting, it's just an all-around use gun. Yes, other makers & calibers are suited more for specific shots & environments, but rare is the gun that will cover whatever you encounter anywhere in the Western hemisphere.

·
8,792 Posts
Sea Aggie said:
True words.

I've always been told if you were to only have one rifle, get a .30-06. ............... It's a caliber that you can find the widest variety of manufacturers and grain and tip combinations.

................ Yes, other makers & calibers are suited more for specific shots & environments, but rare is the gun that will cover whatever you encounter anywhere in the Western hemisphere.
Can't argue with that. Sage advice to the one gun owner.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well my .06 is a winchester pre 64 that my grandfather got from some loggers in the early 60's for my grandmother. it has taken elk/deer(mulley and whitetail) pronghorn moose, the list is endless.
i started this thread to get some suggestions on what type or size of bullet (grain/silvertip...etc )people prefer for pronghorn and i have gotten some pretty good info. i am thinking about getting a box of a few different types of rounds and just seeing what i like the best.
the last pronghorn i took was about 400 yds and running pretty well (my best friend hit it with his 270 and didnt drop it so i stood up and dropped it for him.) (we both took credit but i ended up with the majority of the meat) i got this hunt i won in an auction at the rocky mountain elk foundation banquet about a month ago. i am just a bit curious lets say if you had a 30.06 and where going on a guided hunt what grain/style of bullet would you take with you???

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
In my experience in hunting "speed goats," you're not likely to get a 100yd shot. In fact I zeroed mine a 250yds.

My point is:
1. If you don't drop that goat on the first shot, the meat SUCKS.

2. Be prepaired for longer shots. Speed goats have GREAT eyesight. A "trophy" pronghorn is not going to let you get with in 250 yds.

3. If you are are going to go that far, why not bring the flattest shooting, hardiest hitting gun in the box. It's a shame to put that much work into a hunt, drive that far and settle for a lesser buck because you couldn't reach out there and touch him. (TRUST ME ON THIS ONE)

4. Read "Pronghorn, North Americas Unique Antelope," by Charles L. Cadieux.

If the 30-06 is all yougot, well it's all you got. But if you have .300 as an option, the bigger gun insures a better probabilty of success, you still have plenty of time to go to the range to get comfortable shooting it.

But most importantly, Have a GREAT Trip.

Charlie

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the pointers you have given RangerJohn. It will help with my pronghorn hunt too. Good luck, RJ. I'll post my pics when I return and hope to see your's on here too.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
HuntLikeAGirl said:
Thanks to everyone for the pointers you have given RangerJohn. It will help with my pronghorn hunt too. Good luck, RJ. I'll post my pics when I return and hope to see your's on here too.
i completely agree thanks for the info everyone.

most definately be posting some pics of the 22 incher i am planning on shooting (LOL)

·
15,099 Posts
rangerjohn said:
i completely agree thanks for the info everyone.

most definately be posting some pics of the 22 incher i am planning on shooting (LOL)
If you shhoot a 22 incher, you better post the pics................good luck

1 - 20 of 22 Posts