2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just reading over this board, was wandering how many hours would you have invested in building a rod like the ones Profish has recently built, and what is the average cost to build one for example like one of the three that Profish has recently built, i am curious to know the benefit to value idea behind it i have been thinking about trying to learn how but dont know what all is involved. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks mike

·
Gone Fishing
12,004 Posts
10 hours and 100 + dollars depending on the blank you use

$30 handel assembly
$30-200- for the blank
$20-50 -for the guides
building your own rod=priceless!!!

The first 2 will cost you more due to the fact you need flexcoat,epoxy,tools,thread and the list goes on forever.
I have built 3 rods and rebuilt a old one for a friend and have enough stuff to build 2 more due to the fact I don't know what I'm doing but fakeing it for now...lol

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
Those prices are just about right on.

Do what I have done, start cheap to practice. Find some old rods, anywhere, garage sale ect and redo them (some people use dowel rods but I like the real deal). Once you find your mark, then go and do some searching for "quality" items, look on ebay for a seller named ramrods, he has some good deals on many different items. Starting off is the hard part and most cost, collecting tools and such but then it becomes fun. There is a hugh feeling of pride that comes with using a rod you built. ALL your friends will want you to build them one.
Ask tons of questions, and read everything you can find on building custom rods. Have fun.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys..

i appreciate the info fellas i soon hope to be building some rods for myself, you guys summed it up, i think the feeling that catching fish with something you made make it all the much better, thanks again guys, i will continue to follow up on your board here its a nice place to learn a little. mike

·
Registered
206 Posts
Rod building is highly addictive. I need to get off my butt and build my wrapper. I have been building surf sinkers and kinda put my wrapper on the back burner.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Dang it I can't type tonight either. What I was gonna say before my brain took off on me and I finger tied. I agree with Bill. What I have done is I started with a rod of mine that the guides were already messed up on, then I moved to one that had a crummy set of guides. I am in the process of re-doing a 12' Uglystik that I cut down to 10'. I figure when I get good I will move on to purchasing blanks and building them. Ebay is a real good place to look. Skipjack and I were looking at some blanks just the other night that looked pretty good. Enjoy and stay with it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I learned to build rods from Artie Hebert and skipjack and let me tell ya at first you dont save much but the first time you catch a fish with a rod that you built it is like you are walking on air. Do it and you will see what I mean and then you will spend all of your extra time thinking about what you want to build next and you look at reels in a different way also. you will look at it and say you know I could build a sweet rod for that reel.

Ramon

·
Back in da Saddle
10,153 Posts
some good guys that are on line here is a weekly email I get from a supplier he's honest and prices are right !

Hi John,

WHEN ORDERING PLEASE SPECIFY CODE # R00067

Nov 4-10,2004 Close Out/Tiger Eye Rod Building Components Sale

Neal's Fishing Products:

Just a heads up we have some great buys on our weekly specail http://www.nealsfishingtackle.com/weekly specials/weekly.html

We also got in some great stocking stuffers of fish magnents and key chains go to http://www.nealsfishingtackle.com/accessories/keychainmagnets.htm
My special on these key chains and magnents is $3.99 ea. or buy 5 ea. or more for $3.25 ea.

On our Hat Pins we can give you a special good until the end of the year buy 5 ea of any of our hatpins for $2.99 ea..

We are also going to be bringing in some other grade cork rings so keep watching our site. Some other sites are selling cork rings that they call select that start at $0.32 ea. they are actually grade B cork. I don't have anymore grade B cork rings in stock. From now on I am only going to have my NC-3AA grade cork rings that are alot better looking then the last 500 cork rings we use to sell These cork rings will be our lower grade and I am in the process of getting samples of two other grades to go between the NC-3AA and the Flor Grade rings we carry. My next shipment of 1-1/2 x 1/2 x 1/4 Flor Grade rings should be in sometime next week.

I have several specials on rod building kits just let me know what you are needing and I can tell you if I have that size and the price?
Is there something you are needing ask Neal as he just might have it?

WHEN ORDERING PLEASE SPECIFY CODE # R00067

Note: We have received many calls that our emails are
subjected to spam filters because they come from a business.
Please remember to "allow" or "except" our emails from your
filter.

If you would like to be taken off of our email list just email us
back your name and email address.

We except PayPal,Mastercard/Visa,Check,Money Order.

Have A Great Day,
Neal Cissel
Neal's Fishing Products
910 S. Hohokam Dr. #120
Tempe,Az. 85281
480-945-6122
[email protected]

John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts