2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Tiny is Gone... Hi, My Name is ROGER
5,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter (14) is interested in photography. She has already confiscated her Mothers camera, but wants a professional one of her own.

What is a professional camera these days??? Can it be digital or would it be the 35mm that requires you to develope the film yourself, not take it to a lab some where???

She's in the 9th grade so she is starting to really think of a career...

Either playing music in an orchestra or being a photographer...

Thanks, Tiny

·
Banned
938 Posts
The problem with digital cameras is they outdate quickly. I think by professional she would want something Interchangable lenses. Take a look at the digital rebel XTI or something along the lines of a D40. They are low end digital SLR's.

digital SLR's can run up to 12k :) so think hard on whata she plans to do. And btw that price tag is just for the body itself. You then to get lenses which is where the REAL investment is. Camera bodies come and go, the lenses is what stays.

·
1,188 Posts
I would find out if her school has a photography class. If they do ask if they use film or digital. What ever you do dont spend her college money to buy her first camera. When I took photography in high school we used film and my first camera was a Pentax K1000. I have a film camera and a Rebel xt (digital) if you are looking to buy her a used camera. I know someone on here also had a 30D for sale also that was at a reasonable price. The cameras themselves range from consumer to Prosumer to Pro. Price goes up the closer you get to pro.
Good Luck

John C. Leggio Jr.

·
5,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oK... what would be a good "cheap, looks like a proffesional camera to a 14 year old"?

·
Charter Member
5,938 Posts
I would suggest a Canon XTi body. The camera body is small and would fit her hands well. And there is a bunch of lenses available that fit that Camera.

The Canon 50mm f/1.8 MK II is only about $70 new but can be bought used for $50 or so. Several other lenses which would help her expand her photographic possibilities are the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 for about $280 used. Or the newer model Canon 18-55mm IS zoom. These would keep her busy for a while.

I have a Canon 30D for sale if you are interested. It is the body only and comes with everything that came in the box from the factory. It works perfect and I think she would love it. $500. Send me a PM if interested.

Check the Canon photography website. They have a big classified section. I have bought and sold several pieces of camera gear on there with no problems.

Also, there is a lot of information she would enjoy reading.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

Good luck in your search.
Mike

·
1,188 Posts
Thats who it was MT Stringer was the one with the 30D. I was driving myself crazy trying to remember who had it for sale.

The 30D is a great camera to start with. And MT Stringer has taken some fantastic pictures with his. There is also the canon 75-300mm that you can pick up at B&H Photo brand new for 154.95.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Yeah, get the cheapest DSLR body you can find (and I'd have to say got w/ nikon or canon sense the lenses are more available and **cheaper**). She'll want all the accessories which are far more expensive than the body itself.

Kinda like a starter car, so when she buys one for herelf, she can keep the wheels, rims, paintjob, twice pipes and seatcovers.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Like everyone else has said, go with a SLR digital camera. I like Nikon and own many. Canon in also a great camera too. the key to these two brands is that most if not all the lenses you buy for the Nikon or Canon will work with new bodies that you/ she buys when/if she sticks with it. The thing to think about is which model. Each company makes several, the Nikon D line and the Canon Rebel line are sure fire safe bets. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
How much money do you want to spend now. Then how much are you willing to spend later. Those are the questons to answer first.

Lower end, the "super zooms" like the canon S5-IS will be the best bang for the buck but does not change lenses (saves a ton of money not buying a new lens for every subject).
May not have the "cool" look you're after though.

·
5,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts