2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually run my disk cleanup about once a week which takes less than 2-3 minutes to run. The last couple of days it will not finish the cleanup. I put it on at 5 pm yesterday and when I looked at it next, it was 11 pm and it still was at the same place. I also noticed that when I am running it, the CPU Usage is at 100% in the Windows Task Manager window. What am I doing wrong and what can I do to solve my problem. I have never had this trouble with this ever....O

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
Well your gone so here you go

it could be several things.
1. You have spyware on you computer (run ad-aware and spybot S&D)
2.. You have a virus on your computer (Run Houscall)
3. Your registery has an error (old compressed files) Not going to try to help until more info is given...just to risky
If win2000, NT or XP toooooo many things running in the services/processes
I really need more info to help better.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bill, I do have ad-aware and spyware and have norton anti-virus and thye did not show anything related to my problem. I do not have houscall, but will check on it now and run it to see what it says...THX

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
OK, step two (if not spyware problem)

you probably have a corrupt temp file.
To correct this delete all temp files (close all running applications)
The Start, click run and type %temp%

to open the Temp folder on your computer.
Type Ctrl+A or from the Edit menu click Select All to select all the files, press Delete, then click Yes to the confirmation.
Close Windows Explorer.
Open the Control Panel Internet Options applet.
Select the General tab, then click Delete Files.
Select the "Delete all offline content" check box, then click OK.

Now reboot and run disk cleanup, it should work.

Sorry about the other post, I thought you were gone....

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
I'm glad it worked

it is always best when trying to get some help with a computer to give as much info as possible, like what Operating System and as much detail on errors (perfect would be cut and past the error message) to help me solve the problem as fast as I can. I work with everything from Red Hat and different versions to all windows OS's. Sorry MAC users, I don't swing that way..

Attachments

·
Registered
712 Posts
Is it good to periodically clear all the temp files? I have over 1400 temp files when I tried this.

James

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
James

House cleaning is almost always a good thing. Applications create temp files to store data while you are working on the document the problem is they don't always clean up after themselves. Next you might want to clean out the temp internet files, in Explorer click internet options, tools, General tab, Temp internet files, click delete. In Mozilla, select Preferences from the Edit menu, then select Cache under the Advanced section. Click to clear cache.
Check your email files, sent and recieved. If you commonly send and receive photos, cleaning up these two folders can open up a fair amount of disk space. I do these steps before running defrag.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Channelcat,
Bill's avatar is one of those funky pictures where you stare at the picture and an image comes to you. Can't remember the correct terminlology. Keep staring and you'll see the picture.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts