2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I can thread a Norton Sand Eel Jr onto a 3/8 oz jighead pretty straight and
catch fish with it. but when I try to use a lighter jighead such as the
1/8 oz, I cannot keep the lure from spiraling unless I reel it really slow...
this cant be right.

I keep reading that other 2coolers like using the 1/16oz jigheads...

Should I try rigging the lighter jigheads closer to the top or back
of the sand eel instead of down the centerline?

there must be a trick to this...I havent figured it out. any suggestions

would be appreciated.

·
Man is free when Gov't is limited.
641 Posts
I actually like to use a #7 swivel with about 6" of 20# leader. Don't have that problem although they didn't helicoptor before i started using those.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
ihaven't noticed this , but ialways rig with a small swivel an a short piece of leader material.Am going to have to watch this a little more closely to see if they are doing this with the smaller jigs. I know that when werig with just a worm hook while fishing at night under the lights you have to get it centered up well or it will do this.

·
Banned
906 Posts
I used to use a short leader with a swivel. But it became a pain. If you break off or have to re tie a couple of times your leader will get too short. Plus who wants to cast a plastic all day with 18"es of leader and swivel hanging from your rod tip?

I started using the little brown lure clips from Paul Brown and I like them so far. It keep your line from twisting and makes changing lures very easy and fast.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let me state my question again... line twist is not the issue...how do you stop the
lure from spiraling on a steady retrieve?
If a lure spirals or helicopters, it cannot look right to the fish... I am starting to think
most 2 coolers just fish the lure slow and reel fast when they want to re cast...
their lures must be spiraling on the fast retrieve and the swivel prevents line twist..
Also I know when casting the lure, it does spin in the air on its way out....

So, any other ideas out there to minimize the spiraling on the retrieve?

·
Banned
906 Posts
You must be putting the lure on the jighead crooked. You just have to play with it till you figure it out.

Hold the plastic flat in your hand. Then lay the jighead on the side of the lure to kind of give your self an idea of where you want the hook to come out of the plastic and go from there. Thats the best I can describe it with a keyboard.

·
Time to make the Donuts...
3,315 Posts
catch 5 said:
You must be putting the lure on the jighead crooked. You just have to play with it till you figure it out.

Hold the plastic flat in your hand. Then lay the jighead on the side of the lure to kind of give your self an idea of where you want the hook to come out of the plastic and go from there. Thats the best I can describe it with a keyboard.
I have to agree here. It's a little tricky and you have to make sure you are dead center to keep the lure from spinning. Not so much a problem with Assassins because of the slit in the lure.

·
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)
4,668 Posts
On the sand eel jr, you can see a little peak in the top of the bait. That is where the hook should emerge. Be too far to either side, and it is gonna twist on you.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I haven't gotten used to the screw-lock jig heads yet. I'm still stuck on the old school push on and press jigs that my grandpa made.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts