2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new HDS 12 unit and installed it on my boat. I left my old Lowrance in place for redundancy, it still works great for its age. It’s already loaded with lots of fishing spots.
To save time I ordered the SD card from Rik Jacobsen’s Texas Offshore Fishing Spots website. I received the card on Sunday but when installing it into my new Lowrance Carbon my new unit doesn’t see anything to download. When placing my order, I specified my unit to be a Lowrance HDS-12 Carbon. I email Red Snapper Fishing from Rik Jacobsen’s website on Sunday but have not heard back yet.
I don’t know if the data is on the SD card or if it is in a format my HDS-12 can’t read. Has anyone had this problem or a solution to try? I need to get this resolved before the weekend if possible.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Put it in your computer and see if there are any files on there to begin with. While you are there, back up the data in case your card ****s the bed.

If the Lowrance format is anything like my SIMRAD, it is probably looking for a file extension of .usr. It's quite possible you got a format for garmin .gpx or some other generic format. If you got the wrong format, you can convert it to the format you need using GPSBabel: convert, upload, download data from GPS and Map programs

The problem wtih the book is that the coordinates are listed in degree-decimal, but the book has no decimal.... Just a space where the decimal should be. If the file came that way, then you might have to edit it manually. You can also backup all your data on your old GPS and move it over to your new one. All of these formats are ASCII based flat files.... You can open them in Excel and compine them and upload them as a comple set.

No offense, but if all of that is a little bit over your head, I would be happy to help you out.... I don;t ask for money. I just like to make sure people are successful when they hit the water.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Put it in your computer and see if there are any files on there to begin with. While you are there, back up the data in case your card ****s the bed.

If the Lowrance format is anything like my SIMRAD, it is probably looking for a file extension of .usr. It's quite possible you got a format for garmin .gpx or some other generic format. If you got the wrong format, you can convert it to the format you need using GPSBabel: convert, upload, download data from GPS and Map programs

The problem wtih the book is that the coordinates are listed in degree-decimal, but the book has no decimal.... Just a space where the decimal should be. If the file came that way, then you might have to edit it manually. You can also backup all your data on your old GPS and move it over to your new one. All of these formats are ASCII based flat files.... You can open them in Excel and compine them and upload them as a comple set.

No offense, but if all of that is a little bit over your head, I would be happy to help you out.... I don;t ask for money. I just like to make sure people are successful when they hit the water.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will double check today when I get off work and try again. I put the SD card in a USB adaptor and into my computer on Sunday. When looking for the files I didn’t see anything showing up. My assumption was the data was in a format my computer could not read. Do you need any special software to view the Lowrance files?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I apologize for the card not loading please shoot me a pm with your phone number and I will get this fixed for you.

thx

Tom

·
Registered
205 Posts
I will double check today when I get off work and try again. I put the SD card in a USB adaptor and into my computer on Sunday. When looking for the files I didn’t see anything showing up. My assumption was the data was in a format my computer could not read. Do you need any special software to view the Lowrance files?
It's either a bad card or it was never on there to begin wtih. ALL the major GPS units can read FAT, NFS, or NTFS file systems. If you can't see it with your computer, it's not on there. You should be able to see them, open them, and read them wtih Excel. All the formats are in some sort of delimited text format.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
****15 years*****on a used boat, maybe start off with a $12k Allweld and go from there, then get divorced and fish.....lol...do want you want, but go with a local Credit Union for financing

FYI, Lowrance Carbons and HDS Lives can read the generic .GPX format

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I apologize for the card not loading please shoot me a pm with your phone number and I will get this fixed for you.

thx

Tom
The second card worked on the first try. I guess the first SD card was defective.
Thanks again for getting me up and going.

IMG_20210610_174749681.jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use a program (EasyGPS) to edit and modify Waypoints, Track and Routes. I also back up to a card and store them in EasyGPS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts