2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for someone on the island to help me. If you have any suggestions, let me know.

What I'm looking for is a "professional" photographer to mentor my almost 15 yr old daughter. She has a lot of raw talent in photography, but no direction. She has to complete 25 hours of community service because she has been skipping school. She's a good, intelligent kid who just hates school. I'm hoping that someone can let her see the "behind the scenes" work that goes on, give her some good tips, and get some free gopher/cleaning work in the process.

After she completes the 25 hours, I want to reward her continued hard work in school with a new camera in a few months. Basically, I want to foster her interest in photography and give her an incentive to go to school each day and work toward a camera of her own.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Feel free to PM me.

·
Charter Member
5,925 Posts
Is there any way for her to get on the yearbook staff either junior high or high school? That should stimulate her interest. I've seen students at football games roaming the sideline (just like me) shooting with what ever camera the school will let them use. A couple of years ago, I stopped shooting a night baseball game to help a student adjust her camera because she couldn't get any decent pics at night. Heck, the field was pretty dimly lit as it was.

I can't even think of anyone to refer her to. Sounds like you are looking for someone who does weddings, or studio work. That may be hard to do because when they are on the clock, they are working and might not have the time to to do any teaching.

Good luck. I hope it all works out for you.
Mike

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there any way for her to get on the yearbook staff either junior high or high school? That should stimulate her interest. I've seen students at football games roaming the sideline (just like me) shooting with what ever camera the school will let them use. A couple of years ago, I stopped shooting a night baseball game to help a student adjust her camera because she couldn't get any decent pics at night. Heck, the field was pretty dimly lit as it was.

I can't even think of anyone to refer her to. Sounds like you are looking for someone who does weddings, or studio work. That may be hard to do because when they are on the clock, they are working and might not have the time to to do any teaching.

Good luck. I hope it all works out for you.
Mike
Thanks for the feedback. I don't necessarily need her to assist the photographer while they're actually making money. :) If she can clean their office, do errands, etc... that will fill the comm svc component. Otherwise, 10-15 minutes giving her pointers, reviewing her photos, showing her "mistakes" that they've made and how to avoid, something like that would give her a self-confidence boost and make her feel important. It's fine for mom to tell her that her photos are great or for her to read books/online stuff... but having a real, live person looking her in the eye and telling her this stuff is different. Ya know what I mean? :)

I have a friend asking around at the Art League and she has picked journalism as an elective, but I'm not sure when she'll get to take it. It'll all work out. That much I know. Raising teens is always an adventure.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I have an idea. Does she like wildlife and the outdoors? Why not get with one of the volunteers at Brazos Bend State Park? They have several that you can walk with and they can tell you all about the animals and the Park's habitat. It's a great place to learn photography no matter what kind of camera you have. The visitor's center has friendly staff that would be glad to show you and your daughter around.
I'm out there a few times a month and I think this would be a great place to connect with her. You can camp out there too. Or how 'bout the Houston Zoo?

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedia/calendar/?calpage=s0016

1 - 4 of 4 Posts