2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been looking at boats and have noticed that there are alot of Proline boats for sale. I like the look of them but I was wondering how good a boat they are. Im looking around the 24 to 25 foot range walk around style boat ( family of 6) and the prices are a little cheaper than other boats in that class. Does this mean there cheaper quality or are there just a bunch of them on the market. Any help would be welcomed.

·
Too far from the ocean ...
2,504 Posts
Proline are mid-tier price boats. In English that means they are typically good value for what you pay, but they aren't high end boats. As is typical of mass produced mid-tier boats, some are built better than others. Proline sells lots of boats and most of them are pretty good. If you don't know what you are doing, spend the money for a marine surveyor to inspect the boat and have the engine(s) inspected by a good engine shop. Make sure that you get a good one and not a bad one.

Syncerus

·
More There than here..Gone fishin....
3,926 Posts
Pro lines are Heavy pigs.... IMHO..Heavier the boat..the more fuel ya burn..
There ok for the price,But I wouldnt own 1 unless it was free or next to it.
Now Mako's are hard to beat..Built tuff & there longevity are 2nd to none other than Whalers.

Oxx..

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
Pro-lines are very good boats, not top tier, but definitely well built and offer a lot for the money. Heavy is synonomous with solid and you will find pro-lines are very solid..

Funny people talk about Mako's... I personally think the NEW BPS Brunswick Mako's are POS - the only thing they have in common with their older namesake is the name. I seriously doubt you will see a Mako following with these newer boats like you do with the older ones... The older ones are still sought after because they were good!

Ox, with all due respect, have you even been on a new Mako??? The fittings are sloppy, the gelcoat is fair and the placement of things like under gunnel water valves and such are atrocious IMHO... Sure the ride is ok, but I would look and buy a similar Hydra-Sports, Pro-line or Maycraft any day over a NEW mako... Now, I would take an older Mako and restore it anyday...

Not trying to start an argument here, but I think the new Mako's just barely make it in the mid tier and the pro-lines are a far better boat in ride, fit and finish..

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Ox you are right about Prolines being a heavy pig. I own a proline 230 cc with a 225 Yammie. But I do like the boat when I have my family out in the open bay. It can handle some heavy chop and I feel safe in the boat. I would like to sell it for a shallow running boat but I do not have any regrets about buying this boat. I have had it for 10 years and it is as solid now as when I bought it.

·
I don't member much.
299 Posts
I have a 89' model proline, and it has been a solid boat. I would definetly get another. It takes rough water very well.

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
I had a 1991 20' proline before my key west and it was a pretty good boat all around. It was dry riding adn handled the chop very well. My only problem I had with the boat is it began getting soft spots in the floor (around hatches etc) I looked at prolines before buying my keywest and would have bought another one if the $$$ would have been right

·
Registered
145 Posts
Go ask this question on thehulltruth.com or in the boating forum at the outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com and you get a whole new perspective on pro line boats.

·
Registered
177 Posts
rs67c
You need to look at several boats. MAKE SURE you open lids, look at hinges, open the anchor locker and see how the top cap meets the hull!!! FIT and FINISH, Proline offers alot for the money. IF A BOAT IS NOT GOING UP IN PRICE YOU NEED TO RUN AWAY, they are cutting corners somewhere!!! I would like to invite you to come by to see the new 2006 24 walk by Proline I have several in stock this one has twin 250 Suzuki's. Great fuel milage. We just picked up Proline back in December and seem to be doing very well with the line! Proline has been around for a long time with a good reputation.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
Mr. Breeze said:
Ox, didn't BPS buy Mako? I know the quality of Kenners went way down after BPS bought them.
Yes, that is exactly what I was saying in my reply.. They are owned by Brunswick, who also owns Kenner now and you said it... Quality goes way down. It's called QUANTITY over QUALITY..

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
proilne

This is my Proline it is 24`-11`` , The heavier the better for me, i dont care about mileage, but i do care about my bones. The heaver the more stable it floats at 6900 lbs she sits tightly to the water, not bobbing around like a cork. The fish storage is exellent , i can pack 300 lbs of ice in the insulated floor boxes in the bow , fish boxes with macerator are in the floor in the rear. Fuel is about 1.10 nm best has been 1.50 worst at 1.00 , 140 gal tank , A smooth floating boat that takes the seas very well. My only beef is the floor boxes , the device you grab to unlock and pull open is not big enough for my fingers and i have tied old boot laces to them so i got something to grab, darn finger wont fit

Attachments

·
More There than here..Gone fishin....
3,926 Posts
Yes they did & Ive got a 24 kenner.. Its ok, Not what I expected for the $$$$$$

Prolines are good rigs,Just not for me..My coment was that they are (pIgs)
& I wouldnt want 1..Ive got 1 in my driveway..MopGuys rig...
& Yes I do own an older Mako too...
& a Monarch 17 center...

Oxx..
Mr. Breeze said:
Ox, didn't BPS buy Mako? I know the quality of Kenners went way down after BPS bought them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts