2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I'm Gucci. You polo.
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry so late.Heads up guys. I own a tree service here in Champions area and have run into alot of price gouging by other tree companies ( storm chasers and local companies). Take this for what its worth but here is a rough estimate of what you should be paying for these services. A 40-80' tree on a house or garage requiring a crane of some sort $3000-$5000. A 30-40' tree leaning on a house or garage that can be done with rigging manually $1000-2000. A 30-40' tree leaning on another tree or a hanging top $850-1850. A 20-60' tree uprooted causing no damage to property just unsightly removed and not hauled $500-1300. All these prices are NOT including hauling justy to the curb. Like I said take it for what its worth and prices may vary 3-$400. Hold on to receipts and get phone numbers and Drivers liscences if you can. All yall have to do is relax asses the situation and make sound financial descesions. PM me if yall have any questions.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
TatterTot said:
Sorry so late.Heads up guys. I own a tree service here in Champions area and have run into alot of price gouging by other tree companies ( storm chasers and local companies). Take this for what its worth but here is a rough estimate of what you should be paying for these services. A 40-80' tree on a house or garage requiring a crane of some sort $3000-$5000. A 30-40' tree leaning on a house or garage that can be done with rigging manually $1000-2000. A 30-40' tree leaning on another tree or a hanging top $850-1850. A 20-60' tree uprooted causing no damage to property just unsightly removed and not hauled $500-1300. All these prices are NOT including hauling justy to the curb. Like I said take it for what its worth and prices may vary 3-$400. Hold on to receipts and get phone numbers and Drivers liscences if you can. All yall have to do is relax asses the situation and make sound financial descesions. PM me if yall have any questions.
Thank the Lord for chainsaws and friends!

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
I have only seen photos of the large tree down in my yard and over my fence. A tree service guy from Lubbock, who is now working in our area, ask if I was filing an insurance claim. After telling him that I was, he told me the charge to remove the tree would be $3000-$4000. It sounds like he wants to screw the insurance company to me. I don't like that.

·
Right wing nut job, Bitter clinger to 2C
14,926 Posts
I have one at my house that is still standing but dead now that the power line shocked the crud out of it. It turned brown in 3 days after the branch hit the transformer. could ya give a reasonable estimate on removal of most of the higher branches just to get it below the lines.. The trunk is 5' in dia. but it turns small quick. here is a pic from the street.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
I own a stump grinder and I thought I would throw out some pricing so nobody gets taken advantage of. If the stump is in the ground, pricing is usually $3 an inch in diameter. If the stump is on it's side (blown over), it can be dramatically more. I have seen some stumps on their sides that were easily in the $300-$600 range. Stump grinding is not the only method. I have seen some guys in Houston neighborhoods using bobcats and cranes for removing the entire root ball. This leaves a huge hole in the yard. I met alot of honest guys down there. Hopefully no one gets taken advantage of. Hope this helps.

·
Member..Whats wrong with my member
5,533 Posts
TatterTot said:
Sorry so late.Heads up guys. I own a tree service here in Champions area and have run into alot of price gouging by other tree companies ( storm chasers and local companies). Take this for what its worth but here is a rough estimate of what you should be paying for these services. A 40-80' tree on a house or garage requiring a crane of some sort $3000-$5000. A 30-40' tree leaning on a house or garage that can be done with rigging manually $1000-2000.
Jeez, I have 12 large trees I need completely removed from 2 acres of land to build my new house. Cut down, cut up, root balls removed, etc....Our quote was a little over 2 thousand.

Nothing at all to do with Ike, clearing a footprint for the house.

A 40 foot tree off a house or garage starts at 3 thousand??? Seriously?

Kelly

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Would you be able to give me a bid on removing my tree at 13515 Perthshire 77079. I can be reached at 713-882-0826. Darrell Donaldson
TatterTot said:

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I was lucky. I spent two days on my own with an 18' chain saw cutting what i could. Six guys from Austin drove by and gave me a bid for cutting up and moving to the county right-of-way 10 felled trees too big for my dept. store chainsaw plus a "leaner" they would cut down. Two of the trees were more than 2' in diameter and the leaner was about 50' tall. Price was $700 and it took them all day.

I was worried about insurance, but they showed me papers....albeit they were license home repaires/siding installers and NOT tree people. I took a chance, foolish perhaps, but I needed the work done and my phones weres still out.

I saw them a few days later and they said they raised their rates, since they underestimated how much work it was to clear trees. They told me the work was a lot harder than installing siding.

In all, I've stopped counting at 20 trees down on my 6 acres. I've only moved or cut up those that were a hazard or on county easements. I think I about worked my kids (13 and 15) half to death moving what i cut up myself. Of my 650' of street frontage, all but 50 or 60 feet is covered in debris and cut up timber.

The root balls are the problem. I have two that made Koi pond holes in the lawn. They'll either have to be ground down or dug out. The locations are pretty sensitive (lots of irrigation and utility lines), so this will take an expert.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I can only guess how much insurance your tree company requires. Must have alot of liability and can understand why you charge what you do. So much is lawsuit driven nowdays.

For what its worth, I would not touch a company on my homesite that was not bonded and insured. Thanks for putting numbers up for us to use.

·
I'm Gucci. You polo.
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kdubya said:
Jeez, I have 12 large trees I need completely removed from 2 acres of land to build my new house. Cut down, cut up, root balls removed, etc....Our quote was a little over 2 thousand.

Nothing at all to do with Ike, clearing a footprint for the house.

A 40 foot tree off a house or garage starts at 3 thousand??? Seriously?

Kelly
You better jump on that qoute esp. if they haul EVERYTHING! Now If they don't haul you burn I guess. 2 Acres of land where you can fell everything (12 trees 12 cuts)not a 40-70' Pine or Oak leaning on or on top of a 150-400 thousand dollar house. And I did say CRANE (each crane cost 300-400 thousand or rental of 34 ton crane at $250 an hour as soon as they turn the key). and last but not least workmans comp injury or death and liabilty for the $150-400 house. Theres a big diffrence from "land clearing" and an arborist.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I know my insurance company is giving me $1,000/EA to remove the 3 "large" oak trees that fell on my fence. They would only give me that if it was on personal property.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
This is a GOOD week for the tree companies. Bad for the rest of us.

I'd say if it ain't critical, let it cook for awhile. Those guys will be back in a couple of weeks with serious numbers.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Trees

Some retired friends of ours in The Woodlands paid $7750.00 to get two pine trees lifted off of their roof with a crane and the wood stacked on the curb. I almost fell over when he told me the price. I know crane rental and insurance is costly but that seems very expensive.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I own a stump grinder and I was contracted for a job with a tree company in the Houston area. They did a tree removal from a house the other day that cost $9000. The reason why it is so expensive is that these massive trees are cutting thru the houses which makes it very hazardous. The crane rental for that job alone was $2400 for 6 hours only. The job took much longer than that. You also have to take into account how expensive our equipment is, how many guys are on the job and how dangerous it is.

Just make sure when you hire your tree company that they are not a fly by night crew looking to make quick $$. Usually they are not experienced enough for these hazardous jobs and can easily be hurt.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I almost forgot to mention, I ran across another guy with a stump grinder that is much bigger than mine. Will just say mine is $13,000 new and his was $47,000 new. Like I said much bigger. Anyway, he is able to do those huge stumps that are laying down on their side for $400-600.

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
Tatter great post. I am in the flooring business, and we are doing a ton of tear outs right now both residential and commercial, and we are seeing price gouging as well. We met last monday moring as a company to discuss our pricing and how to conduct ourselves over the next couple of months. We left our pricing the same on products and actually lowered them for tear outs and install because we know people are going through a tough time. But too many are taking advantage, they should be ashamed.

·
Retired and working
1,571 Posts
At this price.....my work in my neighborhood was worth about 24000 dollars. WOW.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts