2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get one for basic around the house applications: refinishing the deck, cleaning the siding, etc. I was hoping that y'all's vast wealth of knowledge & experience could help me out. What brands, amt. of psi needed, any features to look for or avoid, pricing, places to buy, etc. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
don't go electric. mine stops after about 25 minutes of work and has to rest for 10 minutes or so. makes a long job longer. get gas powered and you'll be good to go...

·
Registered
164 Posts
I bought the Karcher brand at Sams Club for I think just under $300. It has a 5.5 horse Honda Engine, uses 2.4 gallons per minute at 2500psi. IMHO whatever you get, make sure you get the kind of spray wand that has the quick connect tips. (mine came with 4). The adjustable spray wands don't work as well to me.

·
Registered
164 Posts
rab ag said:
Thanks for the info. It's summer chores time & I saw a sweet Honda at Home Depot that got me wanting one. A Honda motor for $100 less sounds pretty good to me.
Tell me about it.... I was looking at Home Depot / Lowes trying to decide and my wife found the one at Sams. One look from me and it was sold!!!!

·
Banned
5,088 Posts
As an alternative, I recommend you consider a used washer from a commercial rental outfit. There is a rental place on Stuebner Airline called "Painters Repairs/Supplies" or such. It's about 2 miles north of 1960 on corner of Strack Rd and Stuebner. They rent the washers. Their strategy is to use them for 6 months and then rotate them out for sale. I bought one and its has been great. They service everything they sell. It has 3 GPM and about 2800 psi. Anything less becomes a chore for any big jobs. The bonus is the price. Call them and discuss with the manager/owner.

·
More There than here..Gone fishin....
3,926 Posts
I bought a gas pressure washer from pep boys..I paid $3oo for it & its paid for itself with the boat/Honey Do's

Oxx..

G

·
Got One From Sams Wholesale About 2 Months Ago.not To Pricey,and Has A Honda Motor On It.i Want To Say It Was Like $300.00....

·
www.centexpressurewashing .com
1,447 Posts
Rad ag, This issue has come up before. What Super Dave said is 100% on. You will get more bang for your buck, and as a bonus you will have some techincal backup when something goes wrong. That wont happen at the big box stores.
There are some links to some previous threads.
http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?=43643&highlight=pressure+washer

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=47647&highlight=pressure+washer

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=23015&highlight=pressure+washer

hope this helps.

Mike T

·
That DamnYankee!!
4,076 Posts
If you've got a 2 story house get bigger then 2500 psi or you'll be climbing a ladder to get the eaves and such.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
mucho PSI!

Like they said, don't skimp on the psi or you'll keep wishing you had more. Try using one with poquito psi and you'll take a week to do your driveway.
Tom

·
Registered
155 Posts
Gpm

I disagree about importance of PSI. Super Dave is right about commercial washers. I use them frequently in my business and my primary concern is GPM. Most places market them based on PSI. (kind of like peak HP on electric motors). If you price them competitively, you'll notice that the the price goes up as flow rate goes up (not PSI). Without the volume to carry away the debris, you might as well be using a leaf blower. Our large unit is capable of 5.5 gpm @ 3000 psi, but we only run it at 1700-1900 psi.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Psi?

Ok, I'll stand corrected. I use one only every so often so I always assumed that PSI was more important. I'll take that into account the next time I look to rent or borrow one.
Tom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts