2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
As most of the old timers know, my wife, Gabri, is a school teacher. She just got home from school with some sad news. One of her 4th grade girls has just been diagnosed with Leukemia. She said this young lady is one of the sweetest kids she's ever had in her classroom. I don't have any info on the family yet, but at the very least, they could use some prayers. I'll find out more about the girl and her family in the next few days, and will follow with more.

Needless to say, Gabri is heartbroken, and I know that this girl needs our prayers. I can't begin to imagine hearing news like this, especially at the most Joyous of all times of the year.

God Bless.....Q

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
13yrs. ago YESTERDAY, we learned our son had leukemia. He as 15mos. old. Gabri's parents will need a lot of support and love in the coming weeks and months. Funny, we were overwhelmed by all the jargon and the coldness of the doctors, but we remember every detail of that first night.

The most common childhood leukemia, standard-risk ALL has the highest survival rate. Twenty or thirty years ago, about 95% of the children with ALL died. Today, about 85% can call themselves survivors.

Our son had AML, a rarer and more deadly form that usually affects older people. It was tough, but we (he!) found a way. He is 14 now, a survivor of two relapses and a cord blood transplant. It was not an easy or safe or sure path to a cure, but there was always hope and there was always a battle plan.

Today he is an all A-B student and a great kid. You would never know he had been sick a day in his life.

I'll PM you later with my contact info you can pass along to Gabri's parents. My wife and I both would be willing to speak with them. They can also contact patient services at the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (Gulf Coast Chapter). The number is 713.680.8088. Tell them to ask for Cherry. She can direct them to all sorts of help.

I'm a Trustee with the LLS. They can be a great resource.

·
Registered
12,968 Posts
Heavenly Father, we lift up to you the 4th grade young lady in Gabri's class. Being diagnosed with leukemia is a tough diagnosis to handle especially at her age. Please be with her and her parents as they endure the upcoming days of doctors visits and treatments. Give wisdom to the doctors and we call on you as the Great Physician to perform a miracle as you did with Rockhound76's son who is now 14 and healthy. Please give peace and comfort to Gabri and her other students but especially to this sweet young lady and her family. Help us remember what is truly important in life - friends and family. We pray these things in Jesus's holy name. Amen.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Gang,
If you have the means, here is a worthy cause to donate to: as I said in the original post, Gabri has a student that was diagnosed with leukemia right before Christmas. This little girl has been in and out the hospital since then. Gabri decided to offer a random drawing: Anyone that donates ten dollars in Edith's name will be entered to win a free Family Photo Session. If everyone donates anonymously, Edith's family will receive the session. Please follow the link below to donate.

Thank you and God Bless...Q

http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR?px=13750408&pg=personal&fr_id=24236

www.photosbygabri.com

·
http://talesofhumor.blogspot.com/
4,635 Posts
That is awesome. Anonymous is the only way to go with any donations IMO. I'll keep her and her family in my prayers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts