2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Jacka$$ Moment
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hunted my East Texas lease for the final weekend this past weekend and found TONS of cat tracks and hear a bunch of Yotes. I'm planning on going back up there in a few weeks and am wanting to know what is the least expensive way, as well as most effective way, to call in some of these critters. I was going to go down and buy a battery powered CD caller and just see what happens. You all got any other tricks, ideas, or techniques, times or anything that I might incorporate to make my hunt more successful? I was also going to get one of my kids (sorry Britta Bug) toy stuffed rabbits and put some scent on it to help out. What you all got? Thanks

Dook

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Save your money on the e-caller and just get yourself a couple of mouth calls. YouTube is an awesome tool!! Just be patient.

·
Registered
218 Posts
U can learn to make wounded rabbit sound on the side of ur hand! makes it more of a challange, also setting up on a fence line works good step on fence or wire if its loose enough to move , wire or fence makes noise the make rabbit distress sound . rabbit stuck in fence and here come the yotes, foxs cat and *****.use a shotgun because they will be on you fast gotta soot quick. lots of fun

·
Jacka$$ Moment
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Save your money on the e-caller and just get yourself a couple of mouth calls. YouTube is an awesome tool!! Just be patient.
Do those callers not work? There aren't any fencelines around there either to make some subtle movements either. I didn't think about the shotgun. I was planning on just taking either my .17 HMR or my .22-250 and sit in my stand. Thanks for the tips. I'll post some pics if I do any good when I go.

Dook

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
I had a stereo system on my Ranger. I downloaded some mp3 calls from various website and put them on my ipod. It was very effective..

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
The e-callers work great but you can get a couple of mouth calls for a fraction of the cost. Whatever route you take, start your first calling sequence very softly. Soft enough that you think it will never work. If a dog is close he'll hear it. Just get a little louder with each sequence and always be ready to shoot. I had one come in on me so fast in Wyoming that I didn't even have time to put my call down and he was close enough to kick dirt on my bag when he turned to run the other way. I'm sure it scared the mess out of him but I might have even peed a little bit. If you have a good friend that you trust not to shoot you, calling 'yotes with a partner is a blast.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts