2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 1990 yamaha 130 and it will not power up or start.The tilt & trim button does not trim the motor up or down either. Ive got 2 batteries tied to a perco switch that has all my other eletronics, lights, and jackplate run to it. My problem is that everything works but my motor and trim switch.I pulled cables on both batteries to clean out and put back together to no avail! Can someone please help?

·
Ankle Deep Custom Rods
3,468 Posts
Is your motor hooked to one battery and the electronics hooked to the other battery?
Have you bypassed the Perko to rule it out of the equation? And I am guessing you tested the battery to make sure it didn't open up.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
After you rule out the Perko switch check for a corroded or disconnected wire to your throttle/shift control (assuming your ignition and trim switch are integrated into your throttle).

·
Registered
278 Posts
Check the battery cables attached to your motor as well. The only loss of power for both could be a power problem. There is a very very low chance you had something happen to your trim and power head. Perko's will cause corrosion as well on the back side. I would try attaching your battery cables directly to the battery first. Make sure to sand the ends with sand paper before trying to rule out anything. Had the same problem with my Jack Plate and motor. The problem was definitly the corrosion issue. I use to be a mechanic on outboards while in school if you would like to PM me with questions later. Hope all goes well.

·
POC chunker
9,209 Posts
Does your boat have a circuit breaker near the perko switch for the entire electrics to the motor? I'd look there first. If you don't have one (all newer boats built to NMMA specs do), then I'd check every one of the fuses under the cowl in the motor. Go this route after you do what topwetr#1 suggested first.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, but are your batteries fully charged???? I've seen that before... Trim wouldn't work, motor wouldn't turn over but the electronics worked because they didn't draw much current.

·
These Cats Are Potlickers
1,261 Posts
Some of those came with a diode wired wrong.

California

1 - 8 of 8 Posts