2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot seem to make up my mind on a line for my surf rod (trout, reds, etc) . I was thinking of using Power Pro 20 lb. this year. It will go on a Penn 360 Slammer and a 7'6" rod. Any opinions?

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Is The Penn 360 Slammer A Spinning Reel?

I think Power Pro would work fine. I use Fireline and it's braided. Remember to put mono backing on first otherwise all of the new braided line will slip on the spool. CF?

·
Salt/Freshwater Angler
214 Posts
power pro should work great. just watch the power when u set the hook lol u dont wanna "lip ripper" like whopper said. with the leader try 5-6' of flourocarbon. for reds n trout 150 yrds should do u fine but get it spooled very tight! i tie one end to like a pole or something then walk the entire line out then walk it back in keeping lots of pressure with the rod. that way if u hook a nice drag pullin fish, the line wont dig in the spool.

·
Husband First, Fisherman Second...
1,988 Posts
I've been using the 6 lb (20lb dia.) on my curado for 2 years now. Stuff is great, but don't get exited and cast reel hard, it will backlash easier than mono. I use a 4-5' leader of 20lb flourcarbon. Makes for easy re-ties. I hate using mono now. I can actually feel the mono stretch while fishing a top water, just used to the spectra line. The only breaks I've had in two years is at the knot between the mono and braid. But knot enough to worry...

·
Registered
46 Posts
The super braids are not very abraision resistant. Most that fish the surf use a mono "top shot" and the braid goes on the reel first with a few wraps of mono before the braid. As far as the leader, you need 10lbs for every once of weight and should be long enough to get at least 5 wraps on the spool when your weight is hanging at about the bottom eye. If you are throwing a 4oz weight and bait I would go with 60lb shock leader. A break off during the cast can kill a bystander. If you are interested in the gear and methods for serious surf fishing and a video, contact Nick Meyer at Breakaway Tackle http://breakawayusa.com/ , he will get you into a whole new world of fishing and will cut years off the learning curve. Great guy, but hold on to your wallet, his stuff is some of the best. He has no problem helping out over the phone and shoots straight.

Regards, Chris

Sorry, the Vicodin has me loopie. After re-reading your post I assume you are chunking light artificials instead of bait or slabs for the oversized Reds, nevermind.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Pet Wrap!!!

Hey Snagged,
That sounds like it will work very well. I have only used spectra lines (spider wire) on my ultralight spinning reel to catch trotline bait at home here in central Texas. This application saves me mucho dinero in the lure category. I have always had the entire coil of line spin independently around the spool which rendered my drag useless. For perch fishing I never needed the drag, but this pet wrap sounds like a perfect remedy.
Thanks for the info.
alston4252

·
Crabby Old Man
17,406 Posts
Mando said:
hmm pet wrap, i have never herd of it...ill have to try some. ive had electric tape on my spool for a while.
Mando,
Electrial tape leaves a sticky coating on the spool.
Another use for it is wrapping your finger tips when using spectra on spinning gear or non-level wind reels.
I got my last roll at Pet Smart.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I would stay away from the Spiderwire and Fireline. Spiderwire is more flat than round and there have been problems with it eating up rod guides. I haven't tried the newer stuff lately but I know there were problems with the older Spiderwire. I have noticed the Fireline I have on some of my spinning reels is starting to flaten out as well. It doesn't cast as well and it is digging a little too. I have been using Power Pro on my spinning surf gear with a smaller mono topshot and it is holding up well. It hasn't flattened out with almost a year of use. I am going to swap the line on the reels soon so the bottom of the powerpro on one reel will be the top on the other reel. You save mucho $ this way and it lasts. I just use a little mono as backing over the spool but if you don't want the extra knot, the pet adhesive stuff does work great.

Also, set your drag much looser than you would for mono, at least for the hook set. And when you set the hook, don't rear back. For trout just a quick snap of the wrist will get you a good hook-up. I still tend to give the flounder bites a hard go as their mouths are a lot tougher but I still have a loose drag on the hook set. You can tighten down a little on the drag to get the fish to the boat but when you get it close, I would loosen up again on the drag. Head shaking and that last run boat side will tear out the hooks if your drag is too tight. I also use a fluorocarbon leader on my trout/red set-ups but I only use a 2'-2.5' leader attached with a small black sampo swivel. If not, I tend to get lots of line twist fishing with plastics.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts