2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this forum so I'd like to ask you old salts a question. I've noticed
some of the fellows I fish around are using Power Pro on their baitcast reels and out cast me by a mile. Do you need any special knots when using PP ? Can you use it on spinning reels.

Thanks,
Phishtech

·
Registered
29 Posts
yeah you can all the regulars and captains use it on everything. Ive seen more yellow fin cought on 65 to 80 pound powerpro on a spining reel than anything else. as far as nots go i like the spider not when using the powerpro the fishermans not tends to slip everyonce in a while. you can also superglue your nots for extra protection

·
Registered
537 Posts
You have to use different knots for braided than for mono because mono knotts will slip. Power Pro includes instuctions on how to tie these knots. Also, the fingernail clippers you use for mono won't work on Power Pro, but sissors will do the job.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
polymer knot to a swivle, because it is hard to cut.
when yo put it on your reel put the line through a phone book and have a friend stand on the phone book and wind it on with the drag as tight as you can get it, it is the only way to put it on, you will ruin the line if not because it cuts through you spool and you have to cut it out. make sure yo follow the directions in the box, put a mono backing on it and tye it together with the not is says to use, i tie it 3 times each time i spool up just to be sure i got it tied correct. one warning, dont ever wrap your hand around the string and pull it will cut your hand, if it gets tangled up you have to break it or cut it. i have never had a knot slip but i only use polmers on power pro.
there are loks of theads on this issue do a search on power pro

again the most important is to wind that stuff on there as tight as you can get it, it takes a couple of hours to change the line on a rod because you cant pump the rod like you would do fishing its just striaght tension

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Fish, I'm not contradicting your way of putting the line on a spool, but I put it on the same way I do mono. Have had good luck using it this way for several years. When tying a knot you need to wrap it twice through the eye and then tie it the same way you always do. scissors are definately the way to go. Also, I haven't done it yet but some people swap ends and remove all the line from the spool and tie the end you have been fishing with to the spool and now you have fresh line at the end. I love casting a small spoon with my calcutta 100 but you have to watch the line wrapping around the tip of the rod if you get any slack.
Tom
Tom

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
Watch out for powerpro, it gets sharp as a razor when it is in a bind. This is one of the reasons I no longer use it on any of my reels. Jerry Brown is my new line of choice, it has the small diameter and is extremmly soft; feels almost like cotton

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Pocboy said:
Fish, I'm not contradicting your way of putting the line on a spool, but I put it on the same way I do mono. Have had good luck using it this way for several years. Tom
Tom
tom if you put that stuff on loose and when you go out and hook up with a big grouper or a yft and you are having to crank him off the bottom the line is so slick that it will cut into your spool. try letting it out after that and it isnt going to happen. that is why most people stop using it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts