2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago there was a post on here in regards to a power company, does anyone remember the name of that company or have the post I couldn't find it. After a $450 bill from Reliant I am fed up and ready to make the switch!

I think I remember the company ceo or something was making posts, also the company was tied somehow to one of the conservation organizations in Texas???? Please help. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Definitely switch. There are many REPs (retail electric providers) in Texas to choose from. Many, if not most, have lower rates than the default providers. Make sure you do an apples to apples comparison though. Some advertise a lower $/kwh rate but have a monthly service charge. Once you add this service charge to the killowatt hours used in a month, it can make the diffference. Take the time to look around and you will probably find a better deal. One place to look is: http://www.powertochoose.org/ . This link will help you make and informed decision. One other thing to look for is the contracrt term. Some will require a contract while others will allow you to cancel at any time allowing you to choose another REP.

As for the wind provider...Green Mountain does not own all the wind in West Texas. They do however, make wind a part of their supply but I am almost positive it is not their only supply as wind gerneration is a very small percentage of the 65,000+ Megawatts of generation in Texas. It does make a good marketing campaign though. Fact is, all REPs are required to have a certain percentage of their portfolio in renewable resources.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I also heard that there are different 'peak hours' among the providers so you'll want to watch for that as well. A few hours difference might affect your actual cost.

Bob

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all.....great information!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts