2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
To me it seems kind of against the idea of really fishing....I can see how it is helpful but then again you could just use the winch for the anchor and drag the fish up...

·
Banned
731 Posts
You have to bend over them and its awkward. A $120 swivel butt rod holder (through bolted) works much better. Just put one on each side.

Sometimes you have to switch from side to side, but I have killed fish (tuna) up to 600lbs using them.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
To me it seems kind of against the idea of really fishing....I can see how it is helpful but then again you could just use the winch for the anchor and drag the fish up...
I don't think he was planning on using it to battle a kingfish.

If you get one let me know how it works. My cockpit has limited space, so this seems like a better option than a chair.

·
Site Sponsor 2006>
392 Posts
I have had one that I have moved to 3 boats and I like it. It takes up less room and works great on 50s, caught many marlin off of it. I have used it a few times on bent butt 80s and it will give you a workout but it does it what it is supposed to. None of my boats have room for a chair so it is the only option.

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have had one that I have moved to 3 boats and I like it. It takes up less room and works great on 50s, caught many marlin off of it. I have used it a few times on bent butt 80s and it will give you a workout but it does it what it is supposed to. None of my boats have room for a chair so it is the only option.
do you have it rigged with the floor plate, so you can take it out ?

·
archTech
8,581 Posts
As mentioned above it is a cross between stand up and a chair...arms and back versus legs. I will be putting a removable one in my boat like this one...but all glass and no wood...the top on mine will swivel/rotate like a chair.

Attachments

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As mentioned above it is a cross between stand up and a chair...arms and back versus legs. I will be putting a removable one in my boat like this one...but all glass and no wood...the top on mine will swivel/rotate like a chair.
that was more like what I was trying to find a good pic of.
maybe a tackle tray along the front as well

not sure of the correct real name ? standup post ?

·
Love to fish!
695 Posts
If you could sit on the one bwguadian posted and brace your legs against the transom or an ice chest, I could see how it could work and save space. But I'm with Mossy Oak, if you are just standing behind it and using your arms then I think it is a waste. Think about it, can you lift more weight doing curls or doing squats? You need to be able to use the large muscles of your legs and body weight to really apply pressure. Better to invest in some good standup gear and practice technique.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
******* just fight the **** fish....

I have put a belt on maybe 10 times, normally i just fight the fish and end up with a nice black bruise on either side of my willy.

·
Lifes 2 Short 2 B So Serious All Da Time
4,273 Posts
A friend of mine has one of those similar to your URL picture on the boat he owns.

The boat use to be used in those big SKA tourneys.

You can see it up on the front of the boat.. It has a seat belt type thing that can be wrapped about your back size to hold you close to the post if moving the boat.

sunrise.jpg

sand up fighting chair.JPG

·
break out the 80's and them fancy lures
6,836 Posts
******* just fight the **** fish....

I have put a belt on maybe 10 times, normally i just fight the fish and end up with a nice black bruise on either side of my willy.
Again, no one is talking about kingfish, Kevin. ;) Try that **** with a big marlin, tuna, or sword and your willy may hate you enough to never work again.

B

·
Member At Large
6,637 Posts
i like the idea of using'em in rough seas but otherwise i'd rather stick w/standup gear.......

i doubt they're tournament legal...... i KNOW they're NOT IGFA leagl (not if the rod ever touches or is allowed to rest on that bar)

and if they're not IGFA legal........ that eliminates it's use in all the tournaments that go by IGFA rules

but for a novice or an old phart that can't handle battling big fish............ maybe it's just-the-ticket iffin you're wantin' to remove your chair

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Again, no one is talking about kingfish, Kevin. ;) Try that **** with a big marlin, tuna, or sword and your willy may hate you enough to never work again.

B
LOL, sounds like some personal experience! J/k ;)

Not many of us have caught a fish of at or over 100 pounds, but I guarantee you'll need something -- a chair, a belt, a full harness, a rod holder, something. Sure, I saw a headboat captain bring up a 90-pound stingray (a hella fight), just fishing with a 30# boat stick under his arm ... his ribs and inner arm were pretty much hamburg. I didn't ask about his willy - he was a mean hombre, and bigger 'n' me.

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
alright, here's my thinkin', again this is for billfish

i don't want or need a chair, they are in the way 90% of the time.

i don't billfish that much , but if we hook one, something beside a gunnel rodholder would be nice.

it looks like fun, and yes i have heavy standup gear

that base is pretty universal, you could mount a swivel helm chair w a gimble, a tackle tray/stand, a row of rocket launchers etc. on it, and change them out

is it IGFA legal ? not an issue w me, i don't tourney billfish

most TX bills are gonna be 200-300#, that thing is plenty . we have boated TX bills off super heavy tackle and unlimited chairs, and this looks more sporting to me. So what if you are tired or it takes an hour? how many do you really catch in a day ?

heck if it don't work i'm out a few $$$ and still have the universal base mounted....

·
Member At Large
6,637 Posts
look at either Todd's or the Tracy International's Battle Station before you buy........

i like those better because their cushions are u-shaped giving you better leverage to swivel the unit with your body (instead of that flat pad pictured in the link from your first post)

·
Site Sponsor 2006>
392 Posts
On my Todd the bar is removable so that there is nothing to rest the rod on making it IGFA legal. The bar is removable and I use it to rest the rod to troll with sometimes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts