2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got back in early this morning from driving back from Freeport.

Thanks again to Capt. John Stout for another terrific trip aboard The Possession Limit. I think this trip accounted for more variety of fish caught than any I have ever been on. Aboard were Capt. John, CaptnC (Charles), Eric, Fred, Larry, and myself. BradP couldn't make this trip so we were our own deckhands this time around.

We left Friday afternoon around 3pm headed long. He runs the boat slow to conserve fuel. The Possession Limit gets awesome mileage..150 miles out or longer and it only uses 1/8th of a tank.

We started trolling with Billfish on the mind Saturday at sunrise after determining the troll rotation. Eric was up 1st, I was second. We are trolling humps and other structure. Pretty early on Eric hooks up and gets a nice sail - his 1st billfish. On my rotation I landed a King - 1st one of them I had caught in years. We continued trolling throughout the day making passes over structure and floaters. We had 2 more billfish in the spread making passes at the lures but they didn't never hookup. Capt. John thinks they too may have been sails. Larry did catch a cow Dolphin as we trolled past a weedline (we saw lots of weedlines out there this weekend). One pass by a floater and we hit a school of blackfin. I caught a very large one and boated it. I believe one other may have been boated and one came unbuttoned. Late in the evening as we were trolling out destination floater we saw a free jumping white marlin. She must of jumped 10-15 times from starboard, accross our wake. As far as we know, she was never hooked but she sure put on a show for us.

Saturday evening at about sunset we setup at the floater and try the tuna fishing. First thing we try are diamond jigs to jig up some blackfin. Kinda/sorta worked but not the intended target so to speak. I hooked up 1st with a solid fish, followed by Eric. I lost mine when it came unbuttoned from the siwash hook prior to reaching deep color but Eric landed a fine 70lb class yellowfin - another nice experience for him. I've yet to land a fish of that size on jig. I'm certain that is what I had on the line as well. That is fishing.

The tuna bite turns on hot - very hot. And not a blackfin in the bunch. CaptnC lands another 70lb class yft on a popper. One or two others are landed on chunk. I rigged up my spinner with a popper but by now I am starting to think about fishbox capacity and the need to release fish so put it down without casting (it was difficult as tuna were boiling around us the whole time - whenever CaptnC or Capt. John casted a popper, they got bit). I went to using a dead flying fish on my SST15. I got hooked up pretty fast to a big one. This fish takes line and doesn't like to give it back. When he does, he turns around and takes back what I got from him. He really starts to kick my butt. I get down on my knees thinking I can use the low rail of the boat to my advantage - uh, no. The Seeker CJBF65XH is supposed to be a fast taper, quick shutoff rod and it is. But with the low rail of the Possession Limit and the heft of this fish the rod just bent over and the tip was nearly in the water - that didn't work....ok time for the big guns. I asked someone to get my Smitty Harness and Xlge Special Plate out of my bag (had been using a Smitty Day Plate). Hook that on and now I can get some leverage on the fish. We decide the fight has gone on too long (don't know exactly how long - 45 minutes maybe?) and when it comes up the fish is gut hooked even with the circle so I decide to keep it. It was the largest of the bunch being an 80-90lb class fish. I thought the way it kicked my butt it was going to be a 100lbr for sure but allthough we didn't have a scale I think it was a bit shy of that. It definitely hurt me more than the 165lbr I caught at the Lump this past January though. I take a loong break.
We have to empty the fishbox and rearange things for the 4 or 5 nice yellowfin that have been boated by now. CaptnC keeps going strong. I think he landed 2 and we tagged and released 2 of his. I came back into the mix and caught/released another. Everyone that wanted one was catching tuna - nice ones too. It is too bad the Watermelon didn't run till Sunday and we weren't in it as the yellowfin we caught were much larger than the tournament fish. Yellowfin aren't the only fish we are catching though. Eric hooked and brought to the boat about an 8' shark - he was BIG. Not sure what it was though. I hooked one of the same variety though - only shorter around 4-5 feet and brought it to the boat, both were cut loose. We also caught NUMEROUS barracuda - even on surface poppers. They were biting like mad. We nearly filled the fishbox up (or so we thought) and decided to head in around midnite with the intention of doing some AJ fishing Sunday morning at some cutoff rigs. We thought we left enough space in the box for a couple of nice AJs.

Sunday brite and early Larry wakes me up and tells me we are allready stopped and fishing for AJs...I'm thinking Boy, I'm tired and want to get a few more winks. I stayed in the bunk. A few minutes later he comes back in and I ask him if they are catching anything. He says, yeah they allready boated 6-9 AJs (released). I think, Oh Hell - I did it again. And get my lazy self out of bed. The AJ jinx was broken though as they were thick as flies - more so than on the recent Pelican trip. We made several stops and they were all louzy with AJs. You could catch them anyway you liked them I suppose as on a few stops they came up to the surface. I cheated though and stayed with my SST30 as it made short work of them. They weren't huge AJs but they were all keepers (though we only kept a boat limit). We didn't have live bait so that made the AJ bite even more impressive. We were using jigs. I had some big grubs and they loved those. Only problem was one grub = one AJ as they kept biting them in half and mauling the hell out of them. Pretty soon we had a boat limit of AJs and were releasing the rest. I lost count but caught at least 10. Most were 35-40 inches but I did release a couple in the 30-35lb range. They were nailing anything you dropped in the water as it dropped. Sometimes, we had 4 people at once hooked up to AJs on the back of the Possession Limit. We somehow got all of them AJs into the box though. Then on one stop I had switched to a rubber skirted jig as they had mauled all of my grubs to hell. I still continued to catch AJs but I found that if the jig got bellow them, BIG Red Snapper awaited hungrilly as I brought up a sow of around 10lbs. We start targeting them for a "dusting" of red snapper for the cooler but it ends up being more a "covering" as they are all running 8-15lbs. Eric and CaptnC switch to snapper rigs and before long have their limit of 4 each. I stayed with the rubber skirted jig and whenever an AJ didn't hit it (what was that Capt. John on the Pelican said, AJ's - we don't need no stinkin' AJ's?
I'd catch a nice sow. I ended up with 3 before literally we just couldn't put anything else in the fishbox - we even put 5 snapper in the bait cooler. Fred and a few of the others also landed some.

Larry tried using his flyrod and hooked a bonito but his line parted. Capt. Johhn landed a bonito or two on light (Penn 6500) spinner and had a blast. He also accidentally hooked an AJ
I don't know if it was as much a blast but he did get it in! There were also some HUGE trigger fish landed.

The boxes were full and we were tired so we headed in early getting back to Freeport around 4pm or so. McGolfer showed up AFTER all the fish cleaning and boat cleaning was done (how'd he time that?) and we talked with him for awhile.

Oh, I forgot. I didn't try for swordfish on this trip. I had mistakenly thought that Buckee's would have squid as I had seen them there before. I won't make that mistake again. Next time, I'll get the squid ahead of time. It was just as well though as the bite was too intense that nite to allow for doing a deep drop.

You couldn't have asked for better weather or seas - flat calm both days only a slight chop Saturday afternoon. Just beautifull.

As for crowds - we fished 3-4 floaters with no other fishermen in site, only a few rig boats.

As for the topic we had last week on the fishing pressure and difference in bites between the nearer spars and floaters and those farther off - compare the fish reports from Hoover, Boomvang, and Nansen to this report for this weekend. Coincidence? It could be but I don't think so.

Another great trip with great company.

My personal total for the trip was:

Blackfin - 1
Yellowfin - 2
AJ's - 10 or more
Red Snapper - 3
Kingfish - 1
Sharks - 1
Baraccuda - 3
Earl

·
Reel Gambler
3,761 Posts
Good report Earl...I felt like I was there!

My trip

Blackfin- 2 One was used for chunk bait though
Yellowfin- 4 to the boat-2 in the box-2 tagged and released. One monster borke off on my spinner.
AJ's- BUNCH
Red Snaps- 4
Barracuda- Too many
Bonito-1 used for snapper bait

Here is me with my top water fish.

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice Pic...I should ran over there to the fish cleaning station and have you snap one of me and my tuna :) Woulda had to show his "good" side though since he had been bitten by something - "cookie cutter" shark?

Earl

·
Registered
949 Posts
Good report. I don't have much more to add, but I was thrilled to catch my first billfish Saturday morning. I was down in the cockpit watching baits when I noticed the outrigger kept bouncing a lot more than it normally should. About 2 minutes into the bouncing the clicker starting singing. I believe it jumped atleast a couple of times. The other sails that came in the spread tried to hit the big marling baits, else we might have had a couple of more flags to fly. Hopefully the pictures will come out good of my sailfish. We also had a few baits get torn up by wahoo. I was a little disappointed on catching that 8' shark. I just knew that was going to be my 100lb+ yellowfin. But atleast it allowed me to test my new shimano and rod. And I was impressed.

As always, it's a pleasure fishing on the Possession Limits and we could not have had a better weekend, a better captain, or better crew. Captain Stout, thanks again for the invite and the sail!

Get Wild

Eric

·
Reel Gambler
3,761 Posts
I had fred do an action photo during the epic battle with the fish that broke off. This a cutom Billy Stix in action. The rod could use a bit more back bone for 100lb class YFT.

Note the full fist grip on the spool skirt! I knew something was going to break!

Attachments

·
Freelance Gynocolgist
727 Posts
WOW Good shot of the fight Charles! Worked has interfered with my offshore weekend runs, but I plan on making the rest of the schedule. I'm glad Poss Limit got it's first bill to the boat, wtg Eric! We were like 0fer 3 or 4 at that point. Not surprised that the tuna action was ON like donkey kong for ya'll to cast poppers at. Here's hoping to our long haul trip this week is as good as this past weekends!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts