2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Portable HD or Didgital TV

865 views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  mickey839 
#1 ·
Just this am got our elec back on after 7 days without. Got caught short and had only the radio in our vehicles for news etc.
I am looking for a portable battery operated didgital (?) color TV that will operate after 2-2009.
I googled but found nothing less than $400 for a 8".
Can someone please point me in the right direction? What can I expect to pay? availibility?
Thanks

#2 ·
I have been on line for a few weeks looking for a couple myself...Only one I found available so far is from Radio Shack and all the reviews say it sucks big time...Manufactureres just have not jumped on this band wagon yet...Just wait a while....Radio Shacks is $200.00 and is quite small...

#3 ·
As I was watching my portable battery television this past week, I was wondering what is going to happen after Feb. 2009. So many people that were able to get the news by television during this storm will not be able to after Feb. from what I understand. Sure hope they come up with a solution.

#4 ·
The easiest solution for now is the one we took: A small digital tuner TV, rabbit ears, a 12v battery and inverter. In our case the battery/inverter was built into a home emergency power pack (400w). It would run the 22" TV and a Sony DVD player for about 2.5hrs. With only a 15" TV and no DVD, you could probably double that.......you still have to be able to recharge for long time use, tho'....

#6 ·
The USB TV tuner like DBG mentioned works great. With a battery and inverter you should be to stay informed for a while.

I borrowed a friend's after he got power. I need to buy one before the next big storm b/c even with power you can't depend on cable/sat/uverse all the time. Good ole rabbit ears never fail if you're not too far from the transmission towers.

#7 ·
idea

douglasgilbert said:
Just this am got our elec back on after 7 days without. Got caught short and had only the radio in our vehicles for news etc.
I am looking for a portable battery operated didgital (?) color TV that will operate after 2-2009.
I googled but found nothing less than $400 for a 8".
Can someone please point me in the right direction? What can I expect to pay? availibility?
Thanks
http://lifehacker.com/software/feature/use-your-iphones-internet-connection-on-your-laptop-327066.php

Use your iphone and a cheap 12v power inverter and connect it to your laptop.
This link may help.

#8 ·
Bubbaette said:
As I was watching my portable battery television this past week, I was wondering what is going to happen after Feb. 2009. So many people that were able to get the news by television during this storm will not be able to after Feb. from what I understand. Sure hope they come up with a solution.
If you buy the digital converter box you will still be able to watch through your rabbit ears. Here is a link for two coupons for $40 towards the purchase of two converter boxes. The rabbit ears were a godsend during the storm...I don't have my cable turned on yet, so I'm still depending on them...Plus that's how I watch my Sunday football on the back porch.

https://www.dtv2009.gov/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.