2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Team Hi-Rev
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you that use portable generators on boats for night fishing, etc., how do you have your generator grounded to your boat, or do you have it grounded at all? We have used a friend of mine's older generator on the boat for night fishing trips several times and I never knew this needed to be done, and thankfully we never had any problems.

However, I just bought a new generator, and it has a grounding connection on the control panel so I started Google'n, and have read alot of different opinions on how this should be done. Some give elaborate detail, some say you don't even need it. Keep in mind, my boat is fiberglass, and pretty much all of the exposed metal (that you would be able to connec to) on the boat is aluminum.

Also, how would grounding the generator to the boat affect the 12v circuit for the outboard power, etc.

·
If you can't Hook EM, GIG EM
227 Posts
Saltwater is a great ground but you really should not need one because odds are your generator has a GFCI on the plugs anyway.

·
Alloy or Die
275 Posts
On a boat , I would not use the earth ground .
On my house I might tie it in with the ground rod

That lug is a Equipment ground not a neutral . I run a plate Alloy boat so there is NO WAY I would tie that to my hull, bad things happen real quick.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts